WD Scorpio Blue or Seagate Momentus?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Feng Shui, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Feng Shui macrumors regular

I'm aware that there are probably a dozen of these threads around in the forums, but if you have the time to tell me to search it up, then you have the time to answer my question.

I am fully aware that this may void my MBP's warranty.

I've decided to go with either the 500gb 5400rpm WD or Seagate. I'm just wondering which drive is more reliable and faster.

Also, when installing the hard drive, is it ok to use a magnetic screw driver.

Somone told me that there's an application called Superduper. It clones the original hard drive to make the upgrade easier. Is this a good application, or are there better options?

Thanks.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

3. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

i preorderd the seagete. since both are preorders its hard to say which one is best..

4. Animalk macrumors 6502

I just put in a WD 500GB Blue into my MBP last week. The drive is much quieter when reading and writing occurs but the sound the drive makes by simply keeping the disc(s) at speed inside is either equal or slightly louder then the original 120 GB hitachi that game with it.

EDIT: I almost forgot to mention that it is much faster then my original drive.

5. Moriarty macrumors 6502

I can confirm that... I upgraded my 120GB Hitachi with a 500GB WD in my white Macbook recently too... boot speed decreased from a bit over 40 seconds to 30 seconds!

If you wait a bit longer, Seagate I think are bringing out a 7200rpm 500GB drive. It will probably be expensive, but if capacity + speed are top priorities, that will be a good bet.

6. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

Yeah, thats the one I pre-ordered. It was only $159!

7. yegon macrumors 68020

You can transfer stuff on your old drive to your new one very easily using Time Machine. I've done this twice, once when I replaced my old mb's hdd ages ago, and this past week when I installed the WD 500gb you mentioned in my new MBP. Piece of cake.

8. gocoop macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I didn't want to open a new topic, but after installing WD's Scorpio Blue disc (WDC3200BEVT) 320GB @ 5400 rpm, my MacBook Pro (Santa Rosa 2.2 GHz, 2GB Ram, Snow Leopard) is considerably slower. Boot time takes about 35-40 seconds, but the biggest problem are lags.

It goes like this: if the computer is idle for a 30-40 seconds (for example, if I'm chatting with someone on MSN or reading a text without touching any other applications), reducing or increasing volume, display brightness or something similar, it takes a second or a two for the drive to spin and for the application to react. My old hard drive (Toshiba I guess, 120GB, stock one) wasn't having these problems.

I've checked system preferences, the drive is set not go to sleep automatically, I've done a clean install, repaired premissions etc. - whats the problem? And the worse thing is, all of you on this thread are saying that your computers are now significantly faster.

I'm no power user, but this is really annoying.

9. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I've always preferred Seagate to the Blue and the Black over either.

10. mac8867 macrumors 6502

On point 1, I do not believe it voids your warranty on the whole machine, just the hard drive.

On point 2, I am a WD person, but Seagate is a large brand in the market. It is doubtful either will make any noticeable performance difference when compared to the other, or your stock hard drive for that matter.

On point 3, magnetic screw drive will not be an issue

On point 4, I use super duper and it is really great! If you buy a license you can use it for incremental (changes only) backups.

11. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

I have a Seagate (ST9320423AS) and I have been happy with it. It's silent, energy efficient and swift.

People tend to like Scorpions, but they might be marginally louder and might draw more energy.

Choose big buffer, free-fall sensor and 7200 rpm and Seagate will be a good partner for your computer.

12. Kingcodez macrumors 6502

Kingcodez

Wow this thread is nearly a year and a half old!

It would've been better to start a new thread perhaps in the newbie section.

All I can say to the bumper, is to get more ram. I used WD Scorpio Blue's, I love them, it's the only brand I buy. Perhaps you got a lemon?
    Call up the place you got it from and see if you can return it.

Open up the activity monitor and see if anything is doing anything weird.