WD Scorpio Blue Problem?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ethandt, Dec 26, 2009.

1. ethandt macrumors member

Hey everyone... looking for some advice.

So I just picked up a WD Scorpio Blue 500gb and a 1TB WD My Book external for use with my 15" uMBP (2.4 w/ 4GB RAM/250GB HD/10.5.8).

I first I used Carbon Copy to clone my old drive to the Scorpio Blue, then installed the new drive. I then ran a full back-up to my WD My Book using Time Machine.

Everything went fine but I am noticing one small problem. It seems that every so often the computer hangs for a brief second. Most of the time it's not long enough for the spinning beach ball to come up (sometimes it does) but it's happening enough to be annoying. When I am scrolling on web pages it will stop for a second then try to catch up. Or, when I am trying to access the finder menus or the dock it will hang for a split second as well. Everything else seems to be fine, my boot up time is quicker with the Scoprio, Aps seem to load quicker as well.

I ran Onyx and repaired permissions and did the Cleaning option. There were a few preferences it said it could not repair:

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DiskManagementTool" has been modified and will not be repaired
    Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Locum" has been modified and will not be repaired
    Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/pppd" has been modified and will not be repaired
    Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/vpnd" has been modified and will not be repaired

I was wondering if maybe I should wipe the drive and do a clean install of Leopard and then restore my files from my Time Machine backup, thinking that maybe something got a little screwy with the clone I did using Carbon Copy.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

Check your disk using disk utility but not from the startup volume. There are certain things that cannot be repaired running form the startup disk. Even better run Diskwarrior from another volume. Either boot from a cd, from a usb flash drive, or from an external drive to do repairs. That will most likely fix your problem. I would say it is very unlikely that there is something wrong with your physical hard disk.

3. ethandt thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Darwin.... I'll give that a shot. I also found the huge thread concerning the EFI 1.7 problem with SATA II drives. I wonder if that's what the problem is here.

Thanks again