Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

karlosf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Czech Republic
Hi everyone,

I've been reading this (and many other) forum through for almost two days, tried everything but nothing helps. Here is my problem:

I've bought WD Scorpio Blue 640GB a replaced with it my previous Hitachi factory HDD. The Hitachi HDD was perfectly calm, I didn`t even know that it spins. The WD HDD spins all the time at full speed. It never slows and thats really annoying. There are several topic where people have the same problem, but there is no solution working for me.

I`ve tried to:
- verify disk permissions and repair them,
- use HDAPM with Lingon (http://mymacfixes.blogspot.com/2009/06/how-do-i-stop-clicking-noise-from-hard.html),
- disable the Sudden Motion Sensor (pmset -a sms 0),
- uncheck "Put the HDD to sleep when possible,

maybe even something more I cant remeber now, but the HDD is still spinning. My problem isnt clickinkg or any other head parking issue. It just still spinns.

If anyone of you can provide me with a solution (link etc.), I will be gratefull. I have one 3,5 WD external drive which is not doing this sound so I hope WD is not producing just 2,5'' HDDs with this sound. Its not usual (compared to my other 3 notebooks I have/used to have).

Just to make sure, I have a clean install of Lion. In Activity Monitor there is no CPU or disk activity, but it still keeps spinning...

Thanks for any help!

Karlos
:apple: MacBook Pro 15'', Late 2008, 2,4 GHz, 4GB RAM, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

karlosf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Czech Republic
I've tried the "Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (CD)" option, but I was not able to boot from it. It seems to me that its only Windows compatible.

I still don't think the HDD is bad. It seems to me like if it there was some process he tries to do with no success. If I had Windows I would say there is a process cycled but in this case...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.