WD Scorpio blue1TB vs samsung 1TB harddrive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cfII, Aug 1, 2011.

1. cfII macrumors regular

Which one do you think would be faster/better/cheaper

2. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

same/same/Samsung

3. Joel95 macrumors member

4. bolen macrumors 6502

bolen

5. seong macrumors 65816

seong

Just looking from the benchmarks, the WD performs slightly better than Samsung's, but I'm not really sure if you'll notice a huge difference between the two drives in real world situation.
    I would go with Samsung's. They've been making some good RAM/SSDs, so I trust them more.

6. adrian1480 macrumors 6502

after having 2 scorpio blue 500 giggers die on me, I certainly can't say I recommend them over Samsung.

7. bolen macrumors 6502

bolen

Not that I in any way dislike Samsung drives, actually they're quite good! But justifying the purchase from one company because they are good at something else seems weird. Just because a farmer produces good milk doesn't automagically makes corn good. :)

8. cfII thread starter macrumors regular

Seems like price will be the determining factor here. Anybody else?

9. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

WD has probably a longer history in the business, has more hard disk patents, better research laboratories (regarding HDDs) and so on.

If i buy my HDDs from Samsung, it is like i buy my RAM from WD.

Btw, i'm happy with my WD Green & Black 3.5" drives, and with my 1 TB 12.5 mm WD drive.

10. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Samsung is not new at this game. I have a 540mB IDE drive from Samsung circa 1993 sitting on my desk.

11. cfII thread starter macrumors regular

old school samsung

12. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Me too - I had two Scorpio blue 1Tb drives (the 12.5mm version) fail on me within the first month of use. Plus, the Samsung is cheaper.

13. Nopstnz8 macrumors member

Nopstnz8

Yeah. Although the scores are very good, I've been skeptical of Western Digital's quality after hearing the numerous stories of dying drives. Is this true, or over exaggerated?

14. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Users with perfectly working drives do not write about them in the internet. So yes, the horror stories are exaggerated. It is nothing like the IBM DTLA disaster. And in all cases: Make backups (at least with Time Machine)!

15. Nopstnz8 macrumors member

Nopstnz8

Very true, but the Newegg reviews scared me with so many negatives on previous WD drives I looked at. My Hitachi Travelstar on the other hand, had plenty of good reviews, which was why I bought it. Barely any negative reviews compared to the WD I looked at.

I make backups pretty often, but sometimes get a little lazy and make backups every three weeks or so, and if I were to continue that, I wouldn't want the drive to fail between that.