Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rachel Faith

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2007
Iowa
Engadget says they have been one sale for a few weeks now and I am wondering if anyone has put on or more in a Mac Pro or iMac? I am hoping to sell my old Rev B iMac and go Pro next month if they finally update the line. I may stay iMac if they go Quad core, and a 2TB drive would be nice... or for the Pro, 8TB in Raid 5, even nicer. Anyone?

MasterNile

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Man I hadn't even seen these, I just checked out newegg and they have the 2TB from WD for $300, I was just thinking about upgrading my 17" iMac to a 1TB HD, I would really like to know if the 2TB would be compatible to go in the iMac (pretty sure it is) and how reliable they are, I could get maybe like another $150 or so for putting a 2TB HD in it before selling it since it needs to be replaced anyway.

Rachel Faith

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2007
Iowa
How reliable? Better be like any other or they will get SUED to the max. Why wouldn't they be good? I am looking forward to really updating my HDs as soon as they have been out a while and seagate follows so the price drops a bit more.

MasterNile

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
San Antonio, TX
How reliable? Better be like any other or they will get SUED to the max. Why wouldn't they be good? I am looking forward to really updating my HDs as soon as they have been out a while and seagate follows so the price drops a bit more.

I'm kind of wary of hard drives over 1TB after the 1.5TBs from Seagate were known to be less reliable then any 1TB hard drive, so whatever problem the Seagate 1.5TB HDs had I hope these WD 2TB HDs don't have the same problem, but after reading some of the reviews they already seem more reliable than the 1.5TBs.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
So far the WD 2 TB drive on NewEgg has been getting very positive reviews - far better than the 1.5 TB from Seagate. I'd like to pick up one for my Mac Pro, but $299 could buy me 3 TB of 1 TB drives.

Not as convenient as one drive, though.

MasterNile

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Yes...I can see it now $50 for 1TB of storage, I can't wait, I need me at least 1 or 2TBs for back ups and would like maybe another TB for my iTunes library/DVD back ups

Rachel Faith

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2007
Iowa
Yes...I can see it now $50 for 1TB of storage, I can't wait, I need me at least 1 or 2TBs for back ups and would like maybe another TB for my iTunes library/DVD back ups

Very soon, we will be buying 250TB drives for $99 and kids will laugh at the idea that anyone could pay $300 for 10GB drive. A lot sooner than we think. OS X is only a few years old. A lot sooner.

Syonidism

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2009
Turkey
2 is a very nice prime even round number...

Just think how good 3 will be...

HECK JUST THINK ABOUT THE NEW 10TB iPod Glarawablargharg

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
Anyone know what the latest on the 2TB Seagates is? Aren't they supposed to be out by now? Once they drop to under $200 that'll be the sweet spot. Then I can upgrade my backup disks and migrate all my files to a smaller footprint. I keep two of everything just in case anyone is asking. :D

RemarkabLee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
Engadget says they have been one sale for a few weeks now and I am wondering if anyone has put on or more in a Mac Pro or iMac? I am hoping to sell my old Rev B iMac and go Pro next month if they finally update the line. I may stay iMac if they go Quad core, and a 2TB drive would be nice... or for the Pro, 8TB in Raid 5, even nicer. Anyone?

I wouldn't like to backup 2TB over FireWire personally, which was one of the reasons I went 'pro' as you say. I'd prefer a raid solution when storage gets into the TB's. A raid card would take a lot of work off the CPU and raid 5 is just a weight off the mind.

RemarkabLee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
I'm kind of wary of hard drives over 1TB after the 1.5TBs from Seagate were known to be less reliable then any 1TB hard drive, so whatever problem the Seagate 1.5TB HDs had I hope these WD 2TB HDs don't have the same problem, but after reading some of the reviews they already seem more reliable than the 1.5TBs.

What reliability issues? Are you referring to the firmware issue?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.