WD Studio Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tmanto02, May 26, 2013.

1. tmanto02 macrumors 65816

tmanto02

I have a couple of WD Studio for Mac FW800 drives with 2tb of storage in each. They are very simple to open - 2 screws on top and bottom.

I am thinking of swapping the 2tb drives for 4tb drives. Is there any theoretical reason why this wont work? ie: firmware/chip etc.

[​IMG]

TA

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

No, I don't see any reason it won't work, HD's are HD's, they all have the same protocol, the only difference might be SATA 1-2-3 but they are backwards compatible.

3. thedeske macrumors 6502a

You might read the specs for the device and make sure it will handle a 4TB drive.

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Why shouldn't it, as in my post above, SATA is SATA, backwards compatible, heck, I think it is only limited by the chip inside, maybe Exabytes.

5. thedeske macrumors 6502a

Just a caution. I've had some firewire externals that were limited to 2TB (OWC) and would not work with a 3 or above. It's possible the Western Digital won't have the problem. Doesn't hurt to check.

6. tmanto02 thread starter macrumors 65816

tmanto02

Yeah it'd tough though cause they are not meant to be user upgradable so there is no information out there.

However WD made it so easy to upgrade these drives in the future.

7. John Kotches macrumors 6502

Firmware is firmware. Firmware can limit drive sizes depending on word sizes and other limits.

There are also potential for OS and file system limitations that can get in the way.

The other question to ask is how much do you face by this versus buying 2 external 4tb drives.

8. Macsonic macrumors 65816

Macsonic

Years ago I had a generic external HD case with a 500g HD. I tried to upgrade the HD to 1.5tb but would not work. The store where I bought the ext case said it may be a firmware limitation. Maybe clarify with WD customer service on he firmware and if they offer the customer some downloads on firmware.

9. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

Because you're missing the point that this is a WD enclosure, not a generic enclosure. Some WD external drives don't even let you swap out for even different RPM drives. The firmware is set to restrictions. The OP is better off emailing WD support unless he/she wants to take a chance.

10. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

How sneaky of them.:mad:

11. tmanto02 thread starter macrumors 65816

tmanto02

Will do just that I think. Thanks