WD Studio Mac

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
I have a couple of WD Studio for Mac FW800 drives with 2tb of storage in each. They are very simple to open - 2 screws on top and bottom.

I am thinking of swapping the 2tb drives for 4tb drives. Is there any theoretical reason why this wont work? ie: firmware/chip etc.

TA

thedeske

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2013
Why shouldn't it, as in my post above, SATA is SATA, backwards compatible, heck, I think it is only limited by the chip inside, maybe Exabytes.
Just a caution. I've had some firewire externals that were limited to 2TB (OWC) and would not work with a 3 or above. It's possible the Western Digital won't have the problem. Doesn't hurt to check.

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
Just a caution. I've had some firewire externals that were limited to 2TB (OWC) and would not work with a 3 or above. It's possible the Western Digital won't have the problem. Doesn't hurt to check.
Yeah it'd tough though cause they are not meant to be user upgradable so there is no information out there.

However WD made it so easy to upgrade these drives in the future.

John Kotches

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
Troy, IL (STL Area)
Why shouldn't it, as in my post above, SATA is SATA, backwards compatible, heck, I think it is only limited by the chip inside, maybe Exabytes.
Firmware is firmware. Firmware can limit drive sizes depending on word sizes and other limits.

There are also potential for OS and file system limitations that can get in the way.

The other question to ask is how much do you face by this versus buying 2 external 4tb drives.

Macsonic

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2009
Years ago I had a generic external HD case with a 500g HD. I tried to upgrade the HD to 1.5tb but would not work. The store where I bought the ext case said it may be a firmware limitation. Maybe clarify with WD customer service on he firmware and if they offer the customer some downloads on firmware.

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
Because you're missing the point that this is a WD enclosure, not a generic enclosure. Some WD external drives don't even let you swap out for even different RPM drives. The firmware is set to restrictions. The OP is better off emailing WD support unless he/she wants to take a chance.

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
Because you're missing the point that this is a WD enclosure, not a generic enclosure. Some WD external drives don't even let you swap out for even different RPM drives. The firmware is set to restrictions. The OP is better off emailing WD support unless he/she wants to take a chance.
Will do just that I think. Thanks