WD USB 2.0 Drive not working on my RMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Paulg2uk, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Paulg2uk macrumors regular

Hey guys,

I just wanted to get some advice on this. I thought i was going mad but it turns out I'm not. I have a WD My Passport drive which is around 2 years old I suppose. It's USB 2.0 and is 1TB.

I can't seem to get it to work through my Late 2012 rmbp. And what I mean by that is when plugged in the light flashes for a second and then stays constant but nothing else happens. You can't even see it recognise on the desktop. I've tried it on my iMac as well and same problem. I also tried it my sister's late 2009 MBP and it works. The only way it will work is if I plug into a powered usb hub.

I don't really understand why this is happening. in fact I checked my RMBP and my iMac and they both supply 500ma out of their USB ports. My sister's MBP is the same and it works on that.

Surely it can't be anything to do with USB 3.0? I thought 2.0 and 3.0 were both compatible together?

Any ideas? I'm gonna be buying a new seagate drive anyway as I need more space but its really frustrating not to get it working when it should.

Thanks guys

Paul

2. Mik3F macrumors 6502

Do any other usb devices work from the port?

You could try resetting the SMC and PRAM

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

He states that he tried the drive on his iMac and it doesn't work there but does on a hub and different mac

4. Paulg2uk thread starter macrumors regular

Yes both USB ports work with other devices. My USB flash drives work and so does my iPad and iPhone etc.

How do I go about resetting the PRAM and SMC?

RMBP - Doesn't work unless its plugged into a powered USB HUB
    IMAC - Same thing
    MBP Late 2009 - Works no problem

Cheers

Paul

5. Mik3F macrumors 6502

Hence why I asked if he had tried any other USB devices, to see if the port worked or not

----------

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

6. Paulg2uk thread starter macrumors regular

7. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

For the moment, I'd just use it via the powered USB hub, and transfer all the files over to your new hard drive when you get it.

Also, as a side note, do you have a time machine backup drive setup for your MBP? Make sure its big enough to backup your new external drive as well, because all hard drives die at the most awkward times.

8. Paulg2uk thread starter macrumors regular

I stopped using Time machine a while back. I know I know I should use it just in case. I'm actually thinking of selling my RMBP I used to take advantage of all its features and processing power etc but nowadays I have no need for it. Probably best to sell it for a decent price while still can.

I was gonna wait till tomorrow to see if there's any updates on the MBA's. I'm considering going for one of those as I need something more portable for work. I'll give this other drive to my sister at least it works on her MBP.

Thanks for the suggestions guys

Paul

9. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

OP wrote above:
    [[ I've tried it on my iMac as well and same problem. I also tried it my sister's late 2009 MBP and it works. The only way it will work is if I plug into a powered usb hub.. ]]

So.... you're saying that it DOES work when you use a powered hub, but DOES NOT work without the hub? Is this correct? Is this behavior repeatable on your rMBP and iMac?

If that's true, then I'd reckon the drive doesn't have enough power supplied by either your rMBP -or- the iMac to get it spinning and mounted.

Did the drive come with an external power supply?
    Have you tried using it?

On the back of the drive, is there a port for an external power supply?
    Does it give you the voltage and amperage required?

You can pick up a "universal" power supply either in a brick-n-mortar store like Radio Shack, or order one online (try "partsexpress.com").

My guess is that the OLD MacBook supplied slightly more power than do the newer models, just enough to get the drive "up and mounted".

But the newer Macs do not.

You've got to "get more power into the drive"...

10. Paulg2uk thread starter macrumors regular

That's correct it works with the powered hub on both the RMBP and iMac and on the MBP it works just fine without it. As you say I think it just requires slightly more power. There was no external power supply that came with it and there is only one port on the back for the USB cable.

Its just a bit frustrating if I'm out and about and need to plug my external hard drive in I can't. How do I get more power to the drive? Another cable maybe?

I have no idea what the power requirements are of the drive itself I couldn't find anything online about it. That's what makes me a bit concerned about them if I buy another drive say a new USB 3.0 drive will it be able to be powered off my RMBP?

11. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

I'd just get a new portable USB3 WD passport or better still HGST Touro S.

12. Paulg2uk thread starter macrumors regular

Had my eye on a 2TB Seagate Slim backup plus. Think I'm gonna go for that one.

13. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

I have one of those, they seem quite good.

Bear in mind, if this one doesn't work on your Macs, there's something askew with both Macs (unlikely).

14. Paulg2uk thread starter macrumors regular

Seems a bt strange if that is the case but will have to see. I'm gonna sell my RMBP anyway depending if anything happens with the MBA's tomorrow at the apple event.

I'll wait and see first though.

Thanks for your suggestions.