WD vs. Hitachi - 2011 13" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bubbasteel, Apr 4, 2011.

1. bubbasteel macrumors newbie

Just need some advice from you guys. I just got a 2011 13" MBP with the stock 320gb drive. I am planning to upgrade the hard drive with either:

Hitachi Travelstar 750gb
    Scorpio Black 750gb
    Scorpio Blue 1TB

I would like to have the extra hard drive space, and was leaning towards the 1TB Blue. But I read that it did not fit in some of the older MBPs. Just wondering if anyone has a 13" MBP and has experience with any of these drives. Thanks in advance!

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Either of the WD drives get my vote. Any 2.5 drive will fit.

3. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

4. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

WD just bought hitachi. i'd go seagate, always liked those.

5. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

I'd go with the Scorpio Blue. Though I'd easily jump to the 7200RPM once WD finally releases a 1TB Scorpio Black.

6. HBOC macrumors 68020

i had a hitachi 500GB TravelStar in my Classic MBP. On my new MBP, I have a Samsung 640Gb 7200 drive and they both are great drives.

7. selvage macrumors member

which one is quieter and has less reliability issues? im in the same boat as the OP

8. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

5400 RPM drives tend to be quieter, as for reliability I have had no issues with WD yet (Aside from a single drive which was probably 6 years old), I have a number of friends with file servers that run Hitachis and they swear by their reliability as well. I'd probably say just grab whichever you need for capacity, and is the cheapest.

9. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

I ordered the Scorpio Black. It's the fastest of the 3 with a power consumption almost as low as the Blue. Seems like there's more than a few Mac owners who are experiencing slowdowns, spinning balls with Blue.

10. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

The Black has a 16MB cache vs 8MB for the blue and it has a 5 yr warranty vs 3 years.

11. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I vote black. I have the 320GB black in my computer, and it's great. It's plenty quick and WD has great reliability.

12. econgeek macrumors 6502

The Hitachi is the better manufactured drive. In fact, it is probably the best quality 2.5" drive on the market. Hitachi drives are really IBM's drive unit which bought out Quantum back in the day.

That said, WD has worked out their quality problems over the years and is reasonably reliable now and offers capacities that conservative Hitachi won't.

So there's a tradeoff here- do you want highest capacity at lower quality or highest possible quality?

Seagate has historically been the most problematic and has the lowest quality design.

I say this as someone who has disassembled many examples from all these models, seen the internals, has friends in the drive industry who have worked for the manufacturers, etc.

I am currently using all three models, actually.

But in quality, which is usually my primary criteria, it is Hitachi >> WD >> Seagate.

13. matwue macrumors member

I swapped my old Macbook's stock 5400rpm hard drive with a Seagate 7200rpm model - while I liked the additional space and speed, I absolutely hated the "spinning sound" of the 7200rpm model. When placed on a woody table there was some kind of reverberation audible in the whole room, so annoying that I swapped the hard drives back.

I'm sure not all 7200rpm hard drives cause this kind of reverberation, but if you are noise sensitive or working in a very quiet environment it might be wise to go with a 5400rpm model from the beginning. :)

14. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

Is there a list somewhere with what type of hard drives each Macbook configuration uses?

15. BeachChair macrumors 6502a

Hitachi. I bought a 500 GB Scorpio Blue, it's noisy and slow. Switched back to the 160 GB Hitachi after a day.

16. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

You realize Western Digital bought Hitachi?

17. BeachChair macrumors 6502a

I don't see how that matters in the short run.