WD vs OWC Mercury HD for Time Machine

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by eawmp1, Jun 3, 2009.

1. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

For a Time Machine backup, I am contemplating either (via FW 800):

1) a 2 TB OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro 'Quad Interface' FireWire 800/400 + USB2 2.0 + eSATA, or
    2) a 2 TB Western Digital WDH2Q20000N 2TB My Book Studio Edition II Hard Drive with Quad Interface (FW400/FW800, USB 2.0 & eSATA

Other than a huge difference in price - I was wondering about your experiences with regard to reliability, speed, other storage solutions. Or, as I have a bay open, should I just pop in a 2 TB WD Caviar Green? Thanks for the input!

OBTW - for my really sensitive stuff - photos/files/music - I DO have a 500 GB portable drive that periodically gets updated and stored in the bank lockbox offsite.

2. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

I like OWC's stuff better, better FW controller and doesn't limit what kind of drives you can use.

3. eawmp1 thread starter macrumors 601

eawmp1

So, do you recommend using their cases and putting any third party drives, or their single drive solutions are reliable?

4. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

I think the drive will go out before the controller does. :D

Probably do RAID 1 with additional media backup?

5. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

It's usually cheaper to just buy OWCs premade enclosure unless you can find a drive and enclosure for cheaper these days. I haven't checked recently.

Not interested in the RAID for $294? Same price as the WD on Amazon. What were you looking at?

6. eawmp1 thread starter macrumors 601

eawmp1

But at that price at RAID 1 (for which in the small print they recommend the NewerTech enclosure) you only get 1 TB of actual space.

7. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Well then it depends how much your data is worth..;)

8. eawmp1 thread starter macrumors 601

eawmp1

My data is, to me, invaluable. However, I've always questioned the necessity of an ON SITE backup which is itself again RAID 1 mirrored. The chances of my internal hard drives failing at the same time my external time machine hard drive failing are astronomically low. However, the chance of a fire or act of god wiping out both at my house ... not so low. Therefore, as with copies of irreplaceable paper documents, I have a 500 GB portable hard drive I periodically back up the really important stuff OFF SITE in a bank lock box.