Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

g.money

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Hey all,

Seeking your collective wisdom. I know a lot of people have been asking question about what external hard drive is best for time machine, etc, etc.

Many of the answers inevitably end with the old adage "buy what you can afford." And I agree. But I have a specific question. I know I want a 2.5" external (need the portability+USB power) and can only afford up to 160GB (they're roughly the same price in the stores around me). But I'm still left with the dilemma of trying to choose between two leading contenders:
1) Western Digital Passport Portable 160GB
2) Seagate FreeAgent Go 160GB

From reviews online, both seem equally highly rated, with perhaps a slight advantage to SG drive on account of its reliability (5 year warranty vs. 1 year). That said, a lot of the online reviews also include evaluations of the accompanying backup software, which may skew results (as I'll be dealing with time machine exclusively, I don't care on this front).

So, if you were me, which would you go with?

Cheers

G

P.S. I'm on a Macbook, if it means anything.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I have the external 250 gb WD Passport... but I tore it apart and installed it on my MB and then put my MB's HD (Hitachi) into the passport case... both have worked great for me though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.