WD1001FALS hd great for macpro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by umbilical, Apr 22, 2009.

1. umbilical macrumors 6502a

hi, I receive my WD1001FALS, is great so silence! peace of mind, I was think on buy the "green" for silence but I choose this "black" for better performance and speed and warranty 5 years... and is great.

I buy on OWC, the only problem, they dont say taht is NOT! A RETAIL BOX, is a OEM, $139! on amazon $100 for the same product! I buy on OWC beacuse I think that I'll recieve a retail box... but well the hd is silence, Iam happy with that!

2. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

a little review for prevent users to buy on OWC for that drive and buy on amazon... more cheap and same product...

3. dagomike macrumors 65816

What are you expecting from a retail box vs OEM?

4. rylin macrumors 6502

Silly puppy, the drive is retail.
    It is, however, in OEM packaging.

If it were an actual OEM drive, it'd most likely have custom firmware on it and a very different warranty.

5. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

I believe that the bare WD Black drives carry the same warranties as the retail-boxed ones do. Aside from getting a fancy box, there's no point in buying a retail-boxed drive. You also don't need the SATA cable or the (typically) PC-only backup software that gets bundled with most boxed products. In your case, it would be a total waste of $30.

6. wfj5444 macrumors 6502

7. aibo macrumors 6502

this is either the worst review i've ever read, or just a terrible price comparison. i can't decide.

8. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

retail better protection, oem package suck, but well the hd arrive well, is now working, I dont hear it! I love the silence! ;) I buy 2 more soon on amazon! of course!

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Seriously, OWC has never shipped a drive without better protection than I've gotten from a retail store. I can prove this too. Typically the box is 2x the size it needs to be, it is packed in these neat crate-like plastic deals with bubble wrap and everything. That is opposed to the drive, stuck in plastic in a thin paper box. Yeah, $140 at OWC for the same drive at Amazon ... that's just obvious what you'd buy but if you think OWC is giving retail packaging you're nuts. I think you're overly pretentious about your packaging but that's just me.

10. McShizzel macrumors regular

That's the point of OEM bare minimum for a lower price.

But yeah it is a good HD I have two in my Mac Pro as a matter of fact.