WD5000BEVT issues on Macbook Pro Late2008

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pandaen, Feb 10, 2010.

1. pandaen macrumors member

Problem:
    Random lock-ups, where the computer will stall for 30-120 seconds at random, and again randomly fall back to running normally like nothing happened. Also the computer seems slower.

Where the problem lies:
    The problem started since installing a WD5000BEVT(Western Digital Blue 500GB) in the Macbook Pro. So the problem is connected with this, and from what I read the problem can be something of the following:
    -EFI Update 1.7
    -Harddrive Head Parking
    -Power Management Issues
    -Snow Leopard

Setup:
    -MacBook Pro 15" - Late 2008 (Coconut says age 13 months)
    -4GB Kingston Value (Not an issue)

Solution:
    -This is where I thought YOU could help :)

Please don't:
    -Suggest random **** like fixing permissions, changing spotlight indexing, all of these normal things have obviously been tried!

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I would check the setting in Energy Saver for putting the hard drive to sleep when possible. I have the same machine with the same drive installed, and I had those problems initially, but they were fixed in a software update (while running Leopard), so I can't help you directly. I have seen the option to put the drive to sleep affect those issues before though. Basically, I just recommend trying it with the opposite of whatever it's set to now ("on" is default).

jW

3. pandaen thread starter macrumors member

Are you still running Leopard or have you taken the leap to SL? I am considering trying Leopard.

The energy saving settings does not help, i thought they would aswell, but they didnt seem to have any effect as the power saving things seem to be hardware in this drive, so i think maybe it parks the reader regardless of settings in OS X.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

5. Denarius macrumors 6502a

Denarius

I don't know if this is one of your normal things you tried, impossible to say without you listing what you've done, but if the problem started when you made a hardware change, I'd open it up and check that it's connected properly. If it's any of the things you suggested then you're best off putting the old one back.