WD5000BPKT Advanced Format upgrade on MBP 2011, how to?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nizee, Sep 6, 2011.

1. nizee macrumors newbie

I'm new here, but hope someone here using WD advanced format HDD could give me step by step instructions on how they have "successfully" use on their early 2011 MBP with OSx Lion.

I do know how to open up my MBP early 2011 15" laptop and replace/install the HDD.

My questions are: -

1) Can i use any of the cloning software out there to clone my HDD? What should i use? There are reports that cloning the original will be 512K sector but the new advanced format is 4k sector. So there will be a problem.

2) What if i do a fresh install of Lion on the new Advanced format HDD (of course after i format using disk utility and select GUID), then i restore via Time Machine after that? Do take note that when i back up to Time Machine, it will be 512 Sector on the original drive. Will the Time Machine copy over and re-configure to 4k sector or will it still be 512 sector (emulate) copy over to the new drive (stress the HDD??) ?

3) Or i better off do a fresh install on Lion and all my application all over again?

4) Don't bother with the WD5000BPKT. Return it and get another 7200rpm brand HDD. I like to avoid this option if possible.

Appreciate your assistance and thanks in Advance.

2. Saberon macrumors 6502a

I just installed the exact same model as you are talking about.

I was going to clone but I read some reports of poor performance from cloning, presumably from the advanced format.

Personally I just did a complete clean format and install of Lion, no backups etc. It runs absolutely perfectly without issue and is MUCH quicker than the Seagate 5400RPM that was in there. I would try Fresh lion and then TM backup, and if you notice it's not quite right then I'd go for the clean install, no harm done.

Definitely stick with the WD5000BPKT, it is an awesome drive!