WD6400AAKS - Anything to know?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by scottydawg, Apr 25, 2008.

1. scottydawg macrumors 6502

scottydawg

I just got 2 of these Western Digital drives from NewEgg to install in a FirmTek SeriTek/2EN2 that will be connected to the MP via a Sonnet card. Is there anything I should know about configuring these drives, using jumpers or any other settings before doing a plug and play? I assume I format them in Mac OS Extended?
    On another note, I have a 3 year old Seagate 500GB eSATA Free Agent I am thinking about removing from the case and installing in an extra tray for the Firmtek. My thought is just swap the drive into the Firmtek when I need it to save desk space over having both there (plus the Firmtek looks cool). Any thoughts?

2. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

personally i'd put the WD640's in the case, they are excellent, quiet and fast, what drives are in the case, can you swap 2 out, put the WD's in the case and use whatever comes out in the FirmTek ? thats what i'd do :)
    just format as you normally would with disk utility.

3. scottydawg thread starter macrumors 6502

scottydawg

Well... I have a RAID card in my MP with 4 SAS drives so they aren't going anywhere ;) .
    I set up the two WD's tonight, they seem to be very fast. One is currently working on my first Time Machine backup. The second one will probably have my photos and music so my girlfriend can share everything with her iTunes and iPhoto.