WDS network with two AEBS?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by andiwm2003, Feb 8, 2008.

1. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

hi,

i have an older (2005) AEBS connected to my comcast modem for internet and printing.

i have a new AEBS that i would like to use as remote WDS station.

the problem is that i can't seem to set it up: the airport utility allows me to set up the older AEBS as WDS main, i give it the newer AEBS's ID to use as a remote.

But when i set up the newer AEBS it can't find the WDS main (namely the old AEBS). I have no idea what the problem is. When i try to use the "assist me" function to set up the newer AEBS as WDS remote it just tries to set up internet access and doesn't let me get to the WDS settings. Also I can't figure out how to have both AEBS in one window of the airport utility. i constatntly have to switch between networks. it seems i'm missing something basic here.

thanks for any help,

andi

2. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

The new EABS is more than likely .n and uses different firmware so it would be best to use the newer one as the one connected to your modem. Use the old one as the WDS.

3. andiwm2003 thread starter macrumors 601

andiwm2003

yes, the new one is .N. but that shouldn't matter because my computers are all .g anyway. and it's a pain to change the AEBS at the modem because somehow i can't get internet with the new AEBS (i think i would have to call comcast to reset the modem).

4. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

I never had that problem with comcast. I've had 2 different AEBS's connected to the modem.

Go into the new AEBS utilities and make sure the new AEBS wireless is set to a/b/g in the 2.4Ghz spectrum.

The new one might be set to .n only and/or 5Ghz.

5. andiwm2003 thread starter macrumors 601

andiwm2003

thanks, but i checked for that already. the error says that the AEBS doesn't have a IP adress. and therefore no internet access.

and when i use it as wds remote it says it can't find the wds main station although i put in the main stations ID correctly.

the firmware on the older and new AEBS should be up to date. could it be that the older and newer AEBS are simply not compatible? bith should do .g just fine though.

UPDATE:

the problem seems to be AirPort Utility 5.1 (run on a Powerbook G4). After reading that it is unrelianle i set up everything again manually. The utility never updated the network the WDS remote has to join. I had to put it in manually after restarting the airport utility. it seems you have to restart that stupid program everytime when you select a different airport base station.

now everything works fine.