WDS Remote Setup Help

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by 3Pedals6Speeds, Feb 20, 2010.

1. 3Pedals6Speeds macrumors member

I'm trying to connect my Airport Express (AX) to my network that's run my by Airport Extreme (AEBS). I know I need to do WDS, but am having trouble getting it all to work together, and the Apple help page is using an Airport Utility that's very old, so it doesn't accurately reflect what I'm seeing.

I have it set up currently so that the AEBS is seeing the AX (I can see it as a wireless client through the AEBS) but I cannot see the AX with the airport utility unless I connect them with Cat 5.

A few questions:

1) does the name I give to the network for the AX have to be the exact same as the network name the AEBS is broadcasting?
    2) if yes to 1, should the password also be the exact same?
    3) do the channels they're using need to be the same or different?

Thanks,

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

if you just want to have speakers or a printer, and don't need to extend the range of your network, just have the express join your existing network.

If you do need to extend the range, you want to choose extend, It will give you an option for SSID and password, these will be for your main wireless.
    WDS and extend are basically the same thing, but extend takes a lot of the setup and makes it automatic.