wds vs. extend network

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by motogp69, Sep 2, 2008.

1. motogp69 macrumors newbie

I have a 500gb time capsule, airport express, and macbook all at 802.11n. I want to extend my network at home to give me the most coverage and fastest connection. My question is to I use the extend network option or do I set up a wds? I'm not sure of the differences, pros, cons, etc.

2. kalex macrumors 65816

3. ks-man macrumors 6502a

I thought if you use Airport Express to extend the network you only have two choices

1) Do it wirelessly and thus you are using WDS
    or
    2) Have a wired connection between your base station and AX and set AX to bridge mode.

I have an AX and a Time Capsule and I want my AX to extend my network wirelessly. Are you saying that there is another option than using WDS?

Thanks.

4. preipo macrumors newbie

Trying to add AExpress to TC

Hi all,
    I have spent HOURs trying to use my new Airport Express (n) to extend my Time Capsule. I set TC mode to create wireless network including extend to new clients, 'use single IP address' as the connection mode, make sure the Channel is the same. Doesn't work. The Aexpress picks up the wireless signal, but does not allow connect to network.
    I tried the WDS, but the connection speeds are horrible for all computers, like dial-up connection speeds.

It's amazing that TC can not easily add other bridges to the wireless network!! Let me know if you have found a solution out there.
    Thanks!