Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pscoble

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2006
Petaluma
200 ft rock, and one that apparently would have caused a near nuclear sized blast. Not really reassuring when you live right next to the Pacific Ocean.

shfreelance

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2008
Eustis, FL
****, it missed? Damn, I like my dreams better then my actual life... I am at my happiest in my dream state, actually am loved, have kids, nice house, dog, still have everyday stress, but have my love one to share it with.

apsterling

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
No, a 200ft rock would burn and break into small enough pieces that it would be less of a problem. Plus it's more likely to strike ocean.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
No, a 200ft rock would burn and break into small enough pieces that it would be less of a problem. Plus it's more likely to strike ocean.

Yeah, the breaking up I'm sure was calculated. If it weren't this wouldn't be news. And Are you suggesting that it hitting an ocean wouldn't be a big deal? It'd create a hell of a wave.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
If a large NEO (Near Earth Object) were on a direct path towards Earth, by the time you were able to see it, you would be dead. It would burn at such high temperatures that you would be incinerated in a micro second before it even hit earth. The ppl on the other side of the planet tho... that's another story. ;)

I was obsessed with the whole "death from above" scenario back in high school.:cool:

pianoman181

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
A collision with Earth would have been roughly the equivalent of a 1.6MT blast. Not trivial, but not world-ending by any stretch of the imagination.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.