We aren't even to fanless (equiv) processor builds yet!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by macguy360, Apr 9, 2016.

1. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

Intel didn't start releasing fanless processors until 12nm. Apple is currently at 16nm with the iPad Pro. Obviously Apple has been able to make All iPads fanless, but when the die shrinks start getting down to 12nm and 8nm, we'll be able to see some huge performance gains and innovations in design. We've already seen the change from the triple core a8x running lower clock speed to the a9x double core high clock speed. This is just coming from 20nm to 16nm. That's a 20% shrink. From 16nm to 12nm is another 25%! We should continue to see huge performance increases in coming releases.

The biggest hold back at this point is the screen. If Apple discovers a way to save power on screen lighting, then the iPad could either turn into a 20 hour device or get even thinner!

2. David58117 macrumors 65816

Thank god it can get thinner.

With every iPad release, I think : this needs to be thinner..

3. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Nah, Intel already had fanless chips even prior to the 12nm die shrink. Problem is they're really slow and some are not suitable for tablet form factors.

By the way, my iPad 4 did actually get 16-20 hours on-screen time when browsing or reading with brightness set to minimum. :p

4. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

I aka afraid that as the cpu get power efficient, Apple will make the device even thinner with a smaller battery because they can. :(

5. macguy360 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah you are are right. It is cheaper for them to use a smaller battery.

With the next iPad being 12nm processor, well probably start seeing iPads without bezel sort of like Dell Xps laptops. They will be able to shrink the battery down a little bit more and still maintain battery life.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Hope they do not shrink the bezels as it would be hard to hold the device. I do not think Apple cares about introducing a device that could last "days" between charges like many want here. Apple will always aim for a full day when deciding what size the battery needs to be.

7. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

Because they figure most people just charge their devices as a matter of habit every night anyway.

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

Shrinking the die is already running into problems with cross-talk and yield issues. There's a limit to how small you can go with the current technology.

9. wetcanvas macrumors regular

I agree that it doesn't matter if it's thinner its thin enough. Just that an important thing to remember is thinner removes material and makes it lighter. Lighter is always an area that can be improved

10. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

I know this is sarcasm, but I'm definitely not opposed to even thinner iPads. I don't want phones getting thinner at the cost of better battery life, but the iPad gets more use on a charge than I ever need in a day. As long as the iPad continues to get at least 10 hours of use on a charge, I'll take as thin as Apple can make it.

11. wolfedude88 macrumors regular

wolfedude88

While I don't have a problem with my iPad making it through the day or a couple(light user), the iPhone is at 20% after 7 hours off the charger for me. I don't know one person at work that doesn't have to charge their iPhone, if I light user then sure but if moderate to heavy it just doesn't last.

12. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

Wow, that's pretty bad. Is it always in use during those 7 hours? I honestly only charge my iPhone every 2-3 days.

Right now it's at 82% at 1h 57m use, 14h 50m standby. Main power drainer is Facebook.

I find that signal strength makes a huge difference.

13. wolfedude88 macrumors regular

wolfedude88

I get good signal where I work, and I'm a heavy user, but iPhones don't last for a majority of people all day. Granted most phones don't.

I guess you are a pretty light user? I don't care for it to last a couple of days. Just all day and until I charge it up at night then I'll be happy

14. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Wow, I can't even remember how many years it's been since I didn't have to charge my phone every day. And that's including all the way back to my Nokias (once they started using Symbian.)