'We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one'

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by rozzer1971, Nov 17, 2015.

1. rozzer1971 macrumors newbie

I'm setting up a brand new Late 2015 iMac 27 5K with a 512GB Flash Drive but I'm having issues installing Windows 10 to Bootcamp.

It's a clean install of OS 10.11.1 and as such Bootcamp assistant doesn't require an external USB drive for the windows files.

The assistant starts, allows me to create a 100GB partition and automatically finds my Win10 ISO but after downloading the Windows support files, rebooting and the Windows installer kicking in I reach the part where I choose the partition to install into.

I can select the BOOTCAMP partition which is initially unable to install windows and Format it and then the BOOTCAMP label disappears. I then select the newly formatted partition and click next but then after a couple of seconds pause it reports: 'We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one'

The only option I then have is to quit the installer which reboots me back into El Capitan. Running the Bootcamp installer only gives me the option to delete the Mac drive back into a single volume.

I've been googling and others have had similar issues but most are referring to the old way of installing Bootcamp using an external USB drive. I don't have that option with El Capitan ! I've removed all USB devices aside from my mouse so it's not that. I know my ISO is fine as it worked with a Parallels install I had before I wiped the Flash drive to clean install El Capitan.

Can't see any way past this ! Help !

2. nathaniel515 macrumors newbie

That's certainly an odd problem. According to Apple, it happens if external storage devices are attached during the Windows install. If you are sure this is not the case, I would suggest simply deleting the "BOOTCAMP" partition from within the Windows installer (be very careful not to delete a different partition!), select the unallocated space for installation, and click next.

If that doesn't do the trick, it's possible that your disk has an error. Follow these directions from Apple: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH22243?locale=en_US