"We gave it everything we've got"

Discussion in 'iMac' started by smoge, Jul 2, 2011.

1. smoge, Jul 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2011

smoge macrumors regular

smoge

I know the new iMac's have been out a while now but i just wanted to get peoples opinion on the header "We gave it everything we've got"

[​IMG]

My opinion is that its a cheep marketing coy, what's your?

Attached Files:

2. sth, Jul 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2011

sth macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure if this is just a troll thread, but if you really care about an answer, here's my take:

Apple's marketing is often a bit over-the-top, but it sometimes holds at least some truth*. In this case, you could almost call it "accurate", if you see it relative to what kind of components the current (2009+) iMac design uses.

Take a fully spec'ed 27" iMac and you've got (relative to the 2011 iMac's release-date, of course):
    • The fastest desktop CPU Intel makes (3.4ghz "Sandy Bride" Core i7, also known as the i7-2600). No way to go faster than that except using exotic server-grade CPUs (which would put the machine in a completely different price range).
    • The fastest mobile graphics chip available. The only way to go from there would be using dual- or desktop-GPUs, which would require a major case redesign.
    • Two Thunderbolt ports, the fastest connection available. Not that useful yet because it's still brand new, but it actually enables you to connect periphals faster than a Mac Pro with a FibreChannel card. Give it a year and more devices will be available, although primarily targeted at "pro"-audiences.
    • A 27" screen with an IPS panel, which, while not ultra-high-end, is still much better than the vast majority of consumer monitors.

There's really not much else they could put into these machines (at least not while keeping the same form factor). Even if the iMac wasn't an all-in-one, it would still be an impressive machine. The fact that it is an all-in-one makes it even more impressive.

I also think the pricing for the 27", is quite reasonable – especially by Apple's standards. I'd even go as far as calling the base-model iMacs the best value-for-money Macs you can buy today.
    As ususal though, the BTO options are way overpriced, especially the RAM. The only advice I can give is to upgrade that yourself.

But to come back to your original question: There's not much else they could have given the iMac: Faster CPU? There is none. Faster GPU? There is none in that form-factor. More RAM? Not really possible. 8gb modules (= 32gb total) exist, but a full set costs more than a whole iMac right now. Maybe a 3TB hard-drive option and maybe USB3 via an extra chip, but that's about it. Everything else would either require a complete redesign of the machine (aka getting rid of the compact form-factor) or be way to expensive for the intended market. As for the optional SSD: It's sad that they don't offer a more modern SATA3 SSD, given the price of the BTO option, but we don't know if they kept the old (34nm-based) model simply because of better reliability. The newer 25nm-based SSDs are faster and cheaper, but they don't support as many write-cycles as the older chips. After all, Apple would actually make more money if they used a newer SSD (and sold it for the same price as the old one), so maybe they have their reasons for sticking to the old design.

* Being an engineer, I hate silly marketing claims and marketing speech in general.

3. monaarts macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/15/27-inch-imac-core-i7-with-ssd-is-fastest-mac-ever/

Enough said... :)

4. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

It's marketing speak. From the company that describes some of their other products as "magical" and "revolutionary".

Apple's not the only one who does it.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

What the hell is a "cheep marketing coy"? :rolleyes:

6. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

It's when chickens shyly promote apple products.

Pretty unique method actually, Apple are pioneers in poultry-led marketing.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Thank you. I knew I could trust someone here to keep abreast of things like these.

8. Mobius 1 macrumors 6502

it means that's it's the last breed of imac and they'll start making imac air :D

loljk

9. wxman2003 Suspended

Keeping in line with the poultry theme, does that mean the other manufacturers are just winging it? :D

10. Steamrunner macrumors member

They're just pecking away at the opposition, who will no doubt cry fowl soon enough. Some will say it's much a doodle-do about nothing, and some industry analyst who makes a poultry living spouting cock will point out they're putting all their eggs in one basket, but Apple will take him to court where he'll be up before the beak in no time.

11. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

We have a winner!

12. smoge thread starter macrumors regular

smoge

i care about every one who takes the time to write on the thread

13. Kendo macrumors 68000

Let's not forget the upgrade to FaceTime HD as well. All in all, this was a fantastic refresh.

14. lavino macrumors member

Yeah, the other LCD display I see in my local store that does 27" and 2560x 1440 is $999 CAD (let's consider that 1 CAD is 1 USD now). The rest of LG and BenQ are all just 1920x1080. So if it the technologies is so cheap and common now then I would see tons of LCD that has the same spec now.

Vid card is not top of line since day 1 I think but if you have to consider not having a monter 1000W powersupply with liquid cooling.

The fact that the other guys need to match the exact same design (in addition to the spec) is still hard for them I think. I heard there is an Acer desktop that is stealing the iMac design and added touch screen too. I haven't checked it out but yeah since it is after a few months I think the competitions are getting closer now?