we got burgled, macbook as a replacement

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ajo, Jan 9, 2008.

1. ajo macrumors 6502

So we got burgled the other week. Along with other things that were stolen was my parents laptop.

I have tried to recomend to them to get a macbook because, basicly it will make things a whole lot easier.

All they really used the laptop was for checking emails, internet writing letters watching movies, and then mainly viewing photos etc from the other side of the world of family etc.

They both have never really got on that well with computers/windows in the past, they never remember where they saved things, or how to find things etc (parents being parents).

Anyway..... ive mentioned it and the thing that is putting them off is the fact that the screen is 13", I would like them to change over as it will make things so much nicer for them.

Anything that has won anyone you know over in the past.

(by the way, the theives didnt take by brand new 24" iMac!)

2. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Just a suggestion, maybe get them a used 15" powerbook or 14" ibook? For the minimal uses you describe such a machine should last for years too.

3. ajo thread starter macrumors 6502

powerbook will be a waste I feel, and the money is to much. iBooks are a little old now arnt they?

Is there prehaps an update soon to the macbooks?

4. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

They took an old Windows Laptop and left a brand new 24" iMac????

Lucky you!

Get the lowend $1,099 Macbook, they will be happy with that, and it will work out great for them. It will last them a long time, and they will be better off than they would be with an older machine.

My experience has been that the older machines hold their value more than you would expect, so you end up saving only a couple of hundred dollars. it's not worth it when you consider the speed bump from the intel machines, and the apple warranty.

If you want to save a little, check the Apple store for the factory refurbs. Those are sometimes $100 off, and they come with a full factory warranty.

Check Amazon.com too - they have rebates on Macbooks all the time, and you usually get free shipping and no sales tax. I have always had good luck with them...

5. ajo thread starter macrumors 6502

should have mentioned that im in the UK really for prices etc

Thanks for all the help so far

6. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

::Lisa::

Aww I'm sorry to hear your house was burgled, how awful. We had someone that attempted it here (not even got in the house) and I was afraid for quite some time after so best wishes to your family!

Do you have home insurance over there that would cover the cost of the laptop that was stolen at all? I'd say for what they need a lowend MacBook would be perfectly sufficient for their needs and as you mention they don't know where they save things on windows etc, would be great for them to just pop open the downloads on the dock and everything they've downloaded be there and not scattered everywhere like on a Windows machine lol!

Wow I just can't believe they stole a Windows laptop and left a brand new iMac, they need their heads looking at!!!!! Either that or they are completely dumb burglars!

7. ajo thread starter macrumors 6502

dumb yes, but very tidy, it was strange that they left things.

I think the imac was maybe to heavy for them

They took 2 laptops a wii camera, phone, and some cash.

8. nazuk macrumors 6502

nazuk

WARNING: Sorry to alarm you - but statistics show in the UK, that your highly likely to be targeted again. So check the security of your house. Check window locks, check how you got burgled this time to prevent the next one.

Burglars tent to come and take a few things, then do alot more the second and third time, cos' they get to know the layout and how easy it was the first time.

Just be prepared, and expect the unexpected. Hopefully you will be ok.

Good luck.

9. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Seconded what "nazuk" said. First time I was burgled I thought "Hmm, they left the good heavy stuff" - they came back a week later and got it.

Anyway, just tell the the usual "no viruses and spyware" shpiel, make them go "ooh" with Front Row, that should do it really. ;)

10. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Just to let you know, at the tasks you mentioned I can't tell a speed difference between my 1,6 ghz G4 powerbook and my 2x2,8 ghz iMac. I don't know how old your parents are, but they may be happier with 1280x854 on a 15" screen than 1280x800 on a 13" one.

Another idea, do they really need a laptop? Doesn't sound like they move it around that often? Maybe a mini and some cheap lcd? Won't need much more space.

I can sort of understand your parents, my own father is 66 and the macbooks resolution hurts his eyes after some time. He still uses a rev A 12" powerbook with 867 mhz for some ilife stuff, word/exel, mail and browsing, and he is happy with it. :)

11. CV4 macrumors member

To be honest, make sure they use your iMac a little before you set them on buying one.

Because you say they don't do much, they may be better off, and prefer, to just get a windows laptop, instead of trying to figure out how to do everything over again.

12. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

More on the security issue, but should you get a macbook or get an additional macmini, you can run this security software and have relatively cheap security camera's installed.

www.securityspy.com

you can even buy a cheap xbox 360 usb camera for use on this, total cost for camera + software is less than £60.

you can then add further IP camera's at a later date, I have my home covered with 3 camera's.

BTW make sure that the mac that is hosting your security is hidden!

13. MacBobbins macrumors newbie

Definately the macbook!

My sympathies! We too got burgled over the Christmas break, the night before new years eve would you believe it.

So, I spent New Year alone dealing with police, forensics and insurance, while my family were in London. Luckily they must have been very shortsighted as they left my Macbook, the iMac and my partners powerbook G4 and digital camera. Phew!

It would appear that Macs are not 'interesting for thieves'. The Macbook will do everything they require and more, unless they really want to stay up late playing Doom3. Well you never know? Yep, slighlty more expensive, but you get a lot more bang for your buck. The iApps work flawlessly for me. I am also looking into the security camera side of things.

Evocam from evological software appears very good. You can set it to record upon motion triggers and email you with a piccy. You can embed the streaming video and refresh pics into a website. It'll work with .Mac as well.

Being able to boot into Windows is a plus when it comes to wireless IP cameras as the intial installation usually requires XP. I have just bought the D-Link DCS 2120 £123 from Amazon.co.uk. It appears to working excellently. So if the little wassits break in again hopefully I'll get some nice photos and video with audio.

Just my two pennies worth! Take Care and have a great 2008!

14. ajo thread starter macrumors 6502

So my Dad wants to get a laptop before the week is up.

They are still undecided, the options are weather to get a new windows laptop which will have vista (duno if that will make things worse for them), which will have more storage, RAM and a bigger screen than a macbook, but then... with a macbook il be able to install windows anyway and I also have office 2000 which I can install on windows. Then they can use office how they used to and also get used to using a mac when they go on the internet and download photos etc.

I really dont know what to do, im just trying to make things easier.

Any guidence again please

Thanks

15. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

Yeah, I made a similar experience. Everything larger than a laptop is too large to carry it away unnoticed.

I hope that your insurance covers everything that has been stolen.

16. CV4 macrumors member

I don't get why you want them to get used to using OS X. They don't need to learn to use it for anything and at this point, they are happy with Windows, and anything else will screw them up. Also, considering all they do is use office, internet and download photos, it makes no sense to have to switch between operating systems to do this.

There just is no point in them getting a Mac if they don't really want it. They are used to Windows and don't really do anything that displays Windows (Vistas) flaws.

I personally think you should just let them stick with a PC laptop.

17. ajo thread starter macrumors 6502

The reason is, is that they have never got on that well with windows, im always being asked why things pop up to ask them things all the time, they don't really get on very well with it at all and it becomes an annoyance for them just to view some photos.

Then they complain that things just slow down all the time.

Its small stuff really, and yes windows will suit them fine, but with a chance for a change it made me think.

Finding thinks on Leopard seems so much easier than complicated fileing.

Could someone then perhaps recommend a windows laptop for them?

Im behind on vista and dont know a lot about it but im guessing that Home Premium is the way to go?

18. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Depending on their budget I would get the Dell XPS M1530 or the Dell Inspiron 1525 both solid laptops. Yes get Home Premium

19. ajo thread starter macrumors 6502

insurance money gave us just over £600 so everything for £700 would be good, need to take into account paying for antivirus after that also.

20. CV4 macrumors member

avg = free

21. ajo thread starter macrumors 6502

free yes, but it has no firewall, is windows firewall really good enough?

22. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

I've installed Vista on the PC of my mother some months ago, so far there's not a single problem regarding viruses (I'm using one of the free AV solutions and the Vista firewall).

23. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

For a good free firewall on Windows check out ZoneAlarm Free. The only downside is that it can be a bit naggy from time to time.