(We Know Now) Do we know ATT MMS Cost?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fleshman03, Jun 13, 2009.

1. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Title says it all. When I get 200 msg, is that going to be mixed between SMS/MMS or are they going to milk me another $5 for 100 MMS, or something like that?

2. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

MMS will be included in the texting plan. So, therefore, we currently are (and have been) paying for MMS, but are not receiving it.

3. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Good to hear. How many SMS credits are used when sending an MMS?

4. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

If I were a betting man I would bet on them charging more. Thats just how at&t rolls. I hope it is included but I doubt it. Even if its only 5 dollars a month which of course everyone will pay because its only 5 bucks. Now multiply that times every at&t iphone and there you have it. Greedy corporate America. :p

5. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

That's a bet you shouldn't make as you will lose!

6. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

I hope that is the case. Also the reaction of the crowd at WWDC was awesome. When he said that at&t would be late on MMS and no time frame on tethering and quickly changed the subject it made me laugh.

7. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I think they just count as a text. God only knows they cost the same to send, which is $0.00.

8. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

That would be amazing. AT&T doesn't do amazing when it comes to pricing.

I sure do hope you're right though.

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

That's not going to happen. MMS is included in all text plans and counts as a text message.

10. fleshman03 thread starter macrumors 68000

fleshman03

That's my fear. Although I do think that they don't want to screw over customers anymore, I can see them doing something like this:
    1MMS = 4 SMS.

Meaning those 200 SMS would really be 50 MMS.

At the very least, I want 1 MMS = 2 SMS.

I'd also love to see those 200 SMS be bumped to 300 MMS for the same price. <-- Never gonna happen.

Do they do 1=1 for normal plans?

11. PaulieORF macrumors regular

AT&T wouldn't dare charge iPhone customers for MMS when they don't differentiate between SMS and MMS with their messaging plans for customers with any other phones. Everyone just has this attitude that AT&T is only out to screw iPhone customers. Let's be honest, they're out to screw us all, hehe.

12. fleshman03 thread starter macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Hey quick additional question. Are in-network Texts free or do they count as the 200?

13. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Yes, they do. But, as we have come to slowly discover, the iPhone plan is not a normal plan (and not in a good way!). So, I will believe 1 text=1 MMS when I see it on my first bill.

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

It's going to be 1 MMS=1 SMS, stop pulling facts and figures out of your asses people. The iPhone isn't treated any differently on AT&T. It's the same $30 data plan other phones use and it's the same text plans other phones use.

15. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

Yeah when I had the 2nd Beta version of 3.0 and for a brief time MMS actually worked, I called AT&T to see what their policy was for text, and they informed me that it was covered by my unlimited text plan. SO if they do raised or differentiate the price for MMS, maybe that may be an excuse for some to end their contract without an ETF... Hey, just a thought;)

16. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

They do however, give significant discounts depending on where you work. I work in an emergency room and they take something like 23-25% off of my monthly bill. :D

Also, just to clear things up, the lady at ATT told me that MMS would only be delayed for the older iPhones but not 3G S. As long as they don't disable it when we sign up or renew the contract (which they won't, unlike for 3g) it should be fine. I asked her and she said that she was 100% certain this was the case.

17. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Huh?

Where's my:

tethering
    MMS
    video streaming over 3G
    skype over 3G

And what am I required to buy a data plan (not that I would go without one)?

So, actually saying the iPhone is not treated any differently, would be, well, pulling facts and figures....

18. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

All smart phones on AT&T and Verizon require a data plan, typically you can elect (not well known) to not have a data plan, though your subsidized price is much higher. For instance: say you wanted a BB Curve on AT&T. The fully subsidized price is $49, yet it requires a data plan. If you elect not to get the data plan, then your price would be $199-249 for the phone.

You *can* use other smart phones without data plans, it's just that the iPhone was never designed to be used without one. MMS is off by default because Apple did not support MMS for what ever reason - initially. I have no clue why AT&T hasn't already rolled out tethering options for the iPhone, they're losing money, if you ask me.

AT&T doesn't want video streaming over 3G on any phone, they can only control the iPhone due to the App Store. If you jailbreak, AT&T doesn't have control anymore. Same for Skype, also Skype would be in direct competition with their own provided services - it's obvious why they don't want Skype to work.

19. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

The iphone is treated differently just look when people tried to mms with there phone, it would block it everytime you enabled it. I've never seen
    at&t act towards any other phone like they are with this one... If MMS is available for all their other phones than it should have been included with this one.. I know apple wants everyone to email but it's up to at&t to get the service to the customer.. So if they have MMS it should be working, but no they decide they want to block it for some reason..

James

20. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I meant in terms of pricing. The iPhone is the same as all other smart phones on AT&T when it comes to pricing.

21. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

no

im pissed ive been paying for a plan with mms included but have been denied

if anything, att should give me a dicount on text services for this lact of functionality that the plan i pay for is giving me

22. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Looking at this AT&T iPhone FAQ page, it looks like MMS will be included in the standard text plans.

23. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

it better well be as we have been paying for a text package that includes mms

24. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

why would you assume that? They charge no more for any other phone they offer. They have always offered sms/mms in the same package.

Since I have been here I keep c'in complaints about what iphone users are charged. The iphone plans are no more expensive than the smart phone or the blackberry plans.

25. fleshman03 thread starter macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Well we now know.

From 9to5mac

[​IMG]

So does that mean that 1sms counts as 1mms or I can send as many mms as I want as long as i have a text plan?