Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tullpower

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
Hi to all, I've been an avid reader of this forum for ages, and thanks to the many helpful posters here I've learned a great deal about Macs.

Unfortunately, I've got to report a very bad experience with a US supplier, 'We Love Macs' as a warning to anyone considering doing business with them. I ordered a U-charge MacBook battery charger through e-bay. Postage was a hefty $40 for the little box, but I went ahead as I needed it quickly. Two months, countless wasted hours and a fist full of torn hair later (not to mention a hundred dollars poorer) I'm still without my charger.

Throughout my ordeal, I've noticed quite a few of their practices which are quite deceptive. First thing which felt immediately fishy about them, was that soon after payment, even though I would e-mail them through e-bay, they would reply to my personal e-mail address (as listed in my e-bay personal detail). What was also strange was that the U-charge I purchased was showing as the last one available (e-bay showing 1 item left in the buy it now auction) but only a few hours later, right on a week end, their stock was miraculously replenished. A couple of weeks after I had paid for the item, I e-mailed them as the package had not arrived yet. To my utter disappointment (again replying to my personal e-mail instead of e-bay) they stated the U-charge would take more then one month to be delivered! Probably selling stuff which was not yet in stock!

In the meantime I had bought through e-bay a toy for my son, which was larger then the U-charge, and despite paying a paltry $14 for postage (compared to their $40), it arrived hassle free just a week later. On the other hand, We Love Macs stated the $40 postage used neither included insurance nor tracking. USPS International Mail; it probably cost them less then $10! They advertise their goods at a loss and then make up the difference by ripping off buyers on postage. A quick look at their feedback clearly confirmed this! A month later I e-mailed them again, and they cheerfully replied that the package was probably lost in the post and that they'd happily sell me another one!

I've used e-bay extensively throughout the years, and almost all my Macs and computer accessories were bought second hand from either ebay UK or US. I've always been satisfied up till I had the misfortune of ordering from 'We Love Macs'. I strongly recommend steering well away from them!

Tull~Power

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Sorry to hear your story :(

Have you disputed anything with eBay, PayPal, a credit card company or any other method?

I hope you are able to get some satisfaction

tullpower

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
Sorry to hear your story :(

Have you disputed anything with eBay, PayPal, a credit card company or any other method?

I hope you are able to get some satisfaction

Thanks for your reply. I foolishly waited for the U-charge to arrive well past the 45 day limit to lodge a claim with either PayPal or E-bay. I never had any major problems with e-bay sellers before (apart from minor stuff such as items being described as 'new' while being used). I thought it would eventually arrive, and that We Love Macs had indeed mailed the U-charge, something which I now doubt.

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
It seems that you're perhaps new-ish to eBay.

It can be a great tool to pick up cheap goods, but just like anything else, you have to do your due diligence and check feedback. Ask about shipping beforehand, and gauge how long it takes them to respond. You can tell a good seller almost right away from their feedback score, and definitely from their communication when contacted.

Don't give up hope on eBay, but be more careful next time (obviously something you now know).

DeuceDeuce

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2007
San Dimas, CA
Thanks for your reply. I foolishly waited for the U-charge to arrive well past the 45 day limit to lodge a claim with either PayPal or E-bay. I never had any major problems with e-bay sellers before (apart from minor stuff such as items being described as 'new' while being used). I thought it would eventually arrive, and that We Love Macs had indeed mailed the U-charge, something which I now doubt.

You should make sure to NEVER wait that long again... Bummer.

macrumorsMaster

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2008

Why would you do that? What did you have to lose from just opening a dispute?
Also, if you used a credit card on the deal, you still have the option to do a chargeback(usually up to 60 days, sometimes AMEX will give you even longer).

At least you now know to open a dispute if it doesn't come promptly.

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
At least you now know to open a dispute if it doesn't come promptly.

I think we're all a bit too trusting and willing to allow more time until we get bitten in butt by a seller.

Live and learn and open that cc chargeback for non-delivery.

macrumorsMaster

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2008
I think we're all a bit too trusting and willing to allow more time until we get bitten in butt by a seller.

So true, but if you know you only have 45 days to open a dispute....and you haven't got the item by day 44, why not report it then...that's plenty of time to wait:D

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
The dead give away that it was a scam is when they charge a credit card before the item ships. Years ago eBay was a decent place to buy but now it is mostly full of pawn shop dealers and spammers.

MacVibe

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2009
I got burned on ebay once and swore to never use them again. As far as my experience goes, ebay and paypal have absolutely zero customer service aside from taking fees.

After awhile though, I did give it another try and I still use ebay occasionally. I am very suspicious though and wouldn't hesitate to start any customer service nagging right away if something was fishy.

I'm sorry you got burned. My advice to you (if you are in the US) is to never buy or sell internationally. Ebay should have a completely separate (100% unlinked) website for international transactions. They should also have completely separate sites for "new" and "used" items. When I got burned it was for an item being sold as new but clearly was not.

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
So true, but if you know you only have 45 days to open a dispute....and you haven't got the item by day 44, why not report it then...that's plenty of time to wait:D

Completely agreed. But, if it's your first time having to deal with it, you may not be aware of the time limit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.