We made 'em big. Now they drop us.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rudeboynyc, Jun 11, 2012.

1. rudeboynyc macrumors newbie

Us professionals have made apple who they are today. Our loyal base has always supported Apple. Now that the market-share has shifted to consumers, they just drop us. They don't even upgrade the graphics card, and throw in Thunderbolt. I understand it might not make as much profit as a new iSomething, but come on. The made Billions. They apparently willingly accept the fact that real professionals now have to build their own systems using Ivy Bridge processors, and decent graphics cards. This is beyond me. Shame on you Apple for forgetting who made you.

2. salmoally macrumors regular

Oh stop crying, if the new retina macbook pro doesn't scream built for professionals I don't know what does.

3. Amethyst macrumors 6502

4. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

I dunno, I like the idea of having more than 768GB of storage in my machine. Having 2 drives in my 17" was nice. This is just a glorified MacBook Air.

5. rudeboynyc thread starter macrumors newbie

You are obviously not a pro. You probably don't even comprehend why people actually need a customizable MacPro.

6. Sebastian85 macrumors newbie

I suggest that if you don't know the hardware and performance need of professionals, you ought to consider the embarassment of yourself ;).

7. salmoally macrumors regular

The only embarrassing thing is the crying on display here by grown men.

8. dimme macrumors 65816

I been a Apple user since my IIci. But we did not make them big. iOS devices did.

9. Sebastian85 macrumors newbie

Well, there's an understandable amount of resentment. What apple did today was the equivalent of executing the individuals who built that bridge that the company has been using for the past 10-ish years.

While the Mac Pro is a nieche product, the users of this product are the ones who have driven a large part, perhaps even a majority, of the development work.

Naturally, a few of those are going to get a Macbook Pro, or a Hackintosh. As many seem to be getting ready to make the leap to a PC though.

Me, i thought it maybe would be time to get a Mac Pro for image editing. Evidently, Apple does not want me to purchase a powerful PC from them. I will be purchasing a Windows-based system instead :).

10. Wardenski macrumors 6502

Surely it was introducing a coherent product line and having an advertising campaign with sufficient clout that made them successful.

They made products people would buy.

11. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I hate to say it, but Apple is turning into a toy company. The focus on iOS is proof. Let's see how many negative votes this will bring.....

12. hugodrax macrumors 6502a

Mac Pro is going the way of Cray supercomputers. It's time has past.

13. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

It is?

14. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I don't vote up or down, but I'm 100% in agreement...Many Hackintosh examples are going to be built very very soon.

15. rudeboynyc thread starter macrumors newbie

True. But is it wasn't for us, they would have never made it to the point where they could come out with an iOs device. They would simply not exist beyond end 90's anymore. My point is that the professional apple users who have been there through thick and thin for many years, is just disregarded by this non-update of the Mac Pro.

16. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

You're right you do not know what does.

17. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Let me tell you something, I was all ready to buy until now.

I am willing to bet money there will be a massive migration of serious users of these machines switching to Windows workstations.

Here is the current situation.

Apple: Uh, you don't need SATA III, USB 3, more than mid spec bump. We'll still rape you on ram. And you don't mind using a three and a half year old Video card that can barely manage World Of Warcraft on ultra settings right? let alone run any newer professional software. Oh yeah, that'll be 3000 dollars+ options PLEASE

PC Vendors: Yeah, uh. You can have whatever the hell you want and not be limited to 3 year old GPUs? And we'll charge you a fair price.

18. G4DP macrumors 65816

The pro users didn't make Apple big, they did something much important. They kept putting money in the coffers when Apple was about to go under in the late 90's and early 00's.

The iTurds have made Apple big with their sheep attitude. These same people will do a runner if Apple release a duff product or two.

19. steveOooo macrumors 6502a

There's still the mini and iMac left to get refreshed this year - I think the joke speed bump is a stop gap until the desktop refresh where all machines will get usb3 etc... Or, er, 'DISCONTNUED' will replace 'NEW'

Got to say, what a joke! At least my 5,1 will make a excellent windows machine!

20. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

As an Apple investor, I'm pretty sure that it is the handheld consumer devices that made Apple big.

21. DeeEss macrumors 6502a

Correct, however, we professionals kept them going in dire and lowly times.

22. MacSince1990 macrumors 65816

MacSince1990

As has spelling and grammar's, apparently.

23. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

24. schulmaster macrumors member

The new MacBook Pro is a balckhole that implodes in its own specifications. A 1800p screen is dandy, but a paultry GTX650M will render frames at that resolution about as well as the meager 1GB of VRAM will store them. Play 1080p videos? Cool. Look at 1800p photos?Awesome! Render anything natively on that display?:confused :(

25. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

APPLE, GIMME THAT RESOLUTION IN AN EXTERNAL 24ish inch MONITOR PLZ!!!