General We need a new alternative to winterboard, NOW

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by glsillygili, Mar 3, 2013.

1. glsillygili macrumors 6502

glsillygili

i feel like winterboard is a memeory hog and is outdated. does anyone else feel this way?

2. Brandon0448 macrumors 6502

Brandon0448

I think Winterboard works perfectly. If you think we need a better theming application then write one yourself. It's no easy feat especially when you're not going to make very much money for doing it.

3. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

100MB themes run fine on my iPhone 5, and with the updates Winterboard has received, it runs quite fine on my older iPhone 4.

Might be time to upgrade if you are on any older device.

4. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Review thread starters other threads/posts.
    Sadly, many are rants and complaints or negative in content.

Winterboard works fine for me also.

5. glsillygili thread starter macrumors 6502

glsillygili

im not saying winterboard doesnt work but it needs on the fly theme changing

6. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

You need to learn how to theme instead of expecting things to be done for you. It's the only way you are going to go forward and be happy with your own theme, it's not difficult.

7. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Yes, it does. Looking forward to your new theming app!

8. sagar4995 macrumors 6502a

sagar4995

i've got 6-7 themes set on winterboard. if i want to change i need to make exactly 4 touches.
    touch winterboard
    touch 'select themes'
    touch the theme
    touch respring
    how much more 'on the fly' could it get?

9. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I concur with the masses.

I've had no issues with winterboard thus far.

I only use one theme which is Z[ui z

10. Eclipse538 macrumors regular

I agree! How much faster can it get?

The only thing that could possibly be improved is a converter of sorts - where you can plug in an older winterboard theme (say for ios 4 or 5) then tap a button and it can rewrite the file extensions of that theme for ios 6. If the "converter" even had a drop down menu to help the app clarify what exactly this theme is affecting, it could help improve the ease of creating it. Also if you could download file extensions for particularly odd or rare pieces of the ios that people want to theme it could lighten the load of creating a theme converter.

Other than that winterboard runs great & does its job perfectly - if in the future we or the dev could create a better or more efficient way of masking the ios, that would be cool, but i believe that will come in due time

11. Madstig macrumors newbie

Why don't you develop an alternative yourself? Demanding NOW isn't going to get very far.

12. xxxhackaxxx macrumors regular

LOL! Then write that code. There is NOTHING wrong with winterboard as it is. You cant change a theme without respringing.

13. lukejc1 macrumors 6502

I'm with everyone else, I think Winterboard works great!

You can always try Dreamboard...

14. Luis2004 macrumors 6502a

I agree with everyone too. Winterboard stinks!!!

15. klepp0906 macrumors regular

I love all the sheep in this thread. Not sure where he said he could write a better app or what that has to do with his post.. Once your off sauriks nuts re read the post slowly.

Now that we are on the same page, and hopefully all objective. I agree - winterboard does work. Then again the OP never said it didn't.

I also agree it is dated and its limitations show. If you all are happy with it I don't expect to see a single one of you using something like a dreamboard type successor when it arrives. After all winterboard is the alpha theming app, shortcomings considered right?

Anyhow, yea dreamboard is obviously dead last I checked and while some people want to change the entire look of their phone, winterboard doesn't present such an option.

For those touting the financial angle, nobody forced the dev to let it fly for free, nor would most of us mind paying for a theming app should a paid one pop up.

So yea - if your going to be a lemming atleast be thorough in your reply. While simple in his post - he was in no way combative, hostile, or derogatory towards your coveted winterboard.

I found this post looking for a "better" solution myself and after reading half of the first page I became irked at this trend of blind nut swinging that seems to pop up all over the web by todays kids.

It would have suited everyone on all sides of the debate to take his post less personal and answer his question.

16. bushido, Nov 9, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2014

bushido Suspended

bushido

I don't use it anymore because it sucks the battery life out of my phone

a 1.5 year old thread? really? :p

17. dlmart2 macrumors 6502a

I agree with the OP. winterboard needs an update. I wish winterboard could merge features with dreamboard, and widgets all I one.

----------

I guess it's safe to say that if winterboard is updated, all of the people saying it's fine will choose to use the older version instead.

18. bbrks macrumors 65816

bbrks

hmmmm, strange, than you must be doing something wrong....I never had that kind of a problem with Winterboard :)

19. whirldy macrumors regular

whirldy

Now that Saurik is "caught-up" (hahahaha) with Cydia, etc., maybe he will update Winterboard.

:D