We need an update with a "Remaining Time" battery setting

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hitman0304, Sep 25, 2010.

1. hitman0304 macrumors member

Just like the Macbooks have. It could show you the percentage of battery and also the amount of time left before it dies depending on what you're using your phone for at that time. Would help us gauge how we use our phone, especially when the battery is getting low.

Make it happen Apple!

2. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

I don't think it would be very useful since people are constantly switching between what exactly they're doing. For instance, if I'm writing a text message then the phone would have to calculate how much battery time I have left, but that's assuming that I'm going to be constantly writing my text message until the battery dies. Once I switch to the iPod to listen to music or playing a game then the calculation would change again. But the time approximation isn't useful at all since I'm going to be doing something different in a couple of minutes.

3. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

Good post. I agree. The % is good enough IMO of course its not very accurate most of the time

4. hitman0304 thread starter macrumors member

I see what you're saying, but it's not going to hurt anyone to have it. Just because some people are constantly changing what they're doing, doesn't mean everyone can't use the feature. Just have it so it can be turned off if you don't want it. Personally, I love watching netflix, but often am too nervous to watch that much because I don't know how long the battery will last. I would love to have an estimated time so I could plan my usage around that. But I see what you mean about always changing. Maybe they could put it just for certain things like video and music? I dont know, just ideas at this point.

5. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

Yeah, it would be useful for extended activities such as watching a movie.

6. hammered24 macrumors newbie

Personally, I'd just prefer a battery life that lasted ~1week, So you don't have to keep charging it all the time... :(

7. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

You're gunna be PREFERRING for a decade then dude :D.

8. jmelan macrumors newbie

i agree, i would take a slightly thicker phone for 50% increase in battery life anyday, although 1 week is a liitle unrealistic at this point

9. NicoleRichie macrumors 6502

lets go way back... this thickness might get us a week!

Attached Files:

10. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Zack Morris called ... he wants his phone back. :D

11. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

It would definately help me out when using Netflix! Like someone mentioned, some apps seem to use more battery then others and to be able to know how long you have left before you really get into a movie would be nice

12. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

This is slightly OT, but why do MB(P)'s constantly recalculate the time? If I'm loading a webpage, it'll drop down by like 3 hours, then as I'm reading it it'll go back up, etc. Why can't it just average it out?

IMO I'd stick with percent on my iPhone even though I have time on my MBP.

13. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

It changes based upon how many processes are running and how much system resources they're using. Personally, I've never seen it drop just while a page is loading and then go back up, that is a bit strange