We need something bigger than a 7.1-esque bug squasher

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by XTheLancerX, Dec 4, 2014.

1. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

I miss when iOS was praised for being polished and smooth, where android was the lagfest. Now it's closer to the opposite. Will Apple ever release a big bug/performance fixer or just carry on with this slop?

Sure, 7.1 was big. But still not big enough. Now with iOS 8, steps have been taken backwards in many respects. I don't even want new features with iOS 9. I just want a nice smoothing of everything.

I don't even know what the deal is with 8.2, all it does is add Apple Watch support? Has there even been a second beta for it yet? Are they taking so long on a second beta because they are adding small features and removing pesky bugs? Are they just waiting for the release of the Apple Watch to release 8.2? What about 8.3, will it actually happen?

My hopes are that 8.3 will be our huge bug-crushing update. We are in dire need of it. Let's just hope Apple cares enough to give us back that buttery smooth UI on BOTH iPhone AND IPAD. The iPad version of iOS seriously is a wreck right now, even after 7.1.

2. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

My opinions basically mirror yours here. As you said, it's funny how much the roles have reversed in terms of stability and overall appeal with iOS vs. Android.

So much so that I've switched to a Note 4 and not looking back. Apple started losing me with iOS 7 (been back and forth with Android plenty of times since iOS 7 release) and now with iOS 8...I just can't handle the instability anymore.

3. XTheLancerX thread starter macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

It bugs me but it doesn't bug me enough to switch to android. I switched from android into this already knowing the issues. I just really like iCloud and the design of iOS. Unfortunately, their design decisions were executed sloppily, and are too intensive at times. Like translucency on iPad. >_< 7.1 was half a breath of fresh air, but I still saw lag, and bugs, and slop. I've learned to live with it though. Doesn't really phase me anymore, although I still wish it were gone.

4. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I guess even iOS needs its "Windows Vista" version. I'm hopeful iOS 9 will be our "Windows 7".

5. XTheLancerX thread starter macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

That sounds good lol. But if this is going the way of windows, then that means after iOS 9 we will suffer through a "Windows 8," for iOS 10, then they will make iOS 12 right after iOS 10 to clean things up again :rolleyes:

6. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

Agreed, especially for the iPad version of iOS. (iPhone version is better but it also needs some performance and stability improvements)

7. DoctorKrabs macrumors 6502a

DoctorKrabs

Believe me, Apple will take our advice with this kind of thing.

When people on the internet complained about iOS being stale back in 2012, Apple responded with iOS 7's redesign.

When people complained about Slate colored devices not holding up, Apple replaced them with Space Gray versions.

When people complained about iOS lacking openness, Apple responded by bringing more openness in iOS 8.

When people complained about Apple not making large screened phones, they responded by making larger phones.

Apple really does follow what people complain about and want in new products. If more and more people complain about bugginess in iOS 8, Apple will respond by doing something to fix it.
    If enough users express how much they wish for iOS 9 to be an update focused on polish and "Snow Leopardization", Apple will do that. Just like when people pressured Apple to do an iOS 7 redesign and an iOS 8 open-up.

8. oneshotpro Suspended

I'm thinking of trying android.

Currently have the 4s, iOS8 made it pretty much unusable. Along with the power button that broke before two years was even up.

Looking at the iphone 6 I see the same 16GB base model, same 8MP camera, 1GB RAM(even after many complaints), mariginal better battery(on 6), faster processor, bigger screen, touch id. Then there's the it might bend problem.

Would have to pay over $300 after tax to get this "upgrade"....no thanks.

9. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

"Marginally better" is a bit of an understatement, and proves that you're one of those who don't feel any desire to upgrade. So don't.

10. oneshotpro Suspended

form the battery tests seen online, its barely better than the 5S which was the same as the 5, which was the same as the 4s.

11. MaXimus666 macrumors member

MaXimus666

battery wise the 6 is a big improvement over the 5 or 5S thanks to its larger battery. My wife's 5S can never go through the day without charging twice but my 6 can last 1 day easily with heavy usage and 1.5 days with moderate usage. I love the fact that I don't need to be so paranoid about the battery charging anymore

12. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

Have you seen the iPhone 4s video with iOS 8.1.1 vs 8.2? The 4s opens apps faster with 8.2 so maybe that will be the performance fixer. It's probably going to been in beta longer than 8.3 will though.

13. fredaroony macrumors 6502a

14. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

So the fact that "faster processor" and the vastly improved camera are both on your cons list leads me to believe that even if it came more memory and RAM you'd go ahead and just leave them on the same list.

Oh, it's only 2 GB of RAM...? Pass!

I don't care if you upgrade, but listing huge improvements as the reasons why you don't want to? Bizarre. Just say you don't want to spend the money and that's that.

15. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

Sort of an open question but why does "opening apps" = performance in so many peoples eyes? Surely for me if an app takes 2 seconds to open vs 2.5 seconds that doesn't make a big difference, but if scrolling a table happens at 20 fps that is a big difference compared to 60.

16. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

Because it affects how quickly your phone performs, smoothness is also a type of performance. One is more aesthetic while one actually speeds things up. Both are important overall.

Also it makes more difference on the 4s where some third party apps open in around 8 seconds.

----------

17. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

The other option is to go to another platform. Personally, my experience with iOS isn't really that bad but then again I grew up in the tech industry. I'm more tolerant of faults/issues. At least once a day my iMessages keyboard gets stuck in landscape mode and I force close it without even thinking about it.

Others are so OCD they complain about battery dropping 2%. That's not me

18. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I just hope we don't have to wait a whole year before they fix these bugs, like we had to with iOS7. Arguably the bugs are even worse at this point. It seems that Apple just about fix things and then bring out a whole new iOS which starts the ball rolling again...
    Plus we'll no doubt have battery issues and slowdowns to look forward to with iOS9 when we install it on the iPhone 6. Apple will be concentrating on the 6S/7 and iOS9 from this point and squashing bugs in iOS8 won't be a priority very soon. That's what irks me, they rush some phones and an o/s to market but then crack on with their new products. The latest and greatest very soon becomes 'the old model'.
    Sure they still 'support' it but by no means is that support anything but a secondary measure.
    A new phone should be released with no major bugs or faults, and if there are any they should be fixed within one month max.

19. Imory macrumors 6502a

I advise everyone in this thread who are disappointed, to actually submit a feedback report back to Apple. Don't hold back, but be thorough and succinct about your issues.

Apple - iPhone - Feedback

The second advise is the easiest (albeit also hard) and probably the most effective one, which is to vote with your wallet. That's unfortunately the grim reality here.

20. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

Yeah, right. My wife has a 6 and it's barely better than her 5. With the same usage it will not last the day.

21. Deasnutz macrumors 6502

I hear a lot of complaining, but very few details. What is the issue? Battery life? Slow UI? What specifics? Apps?

I do think Safari is getting worse. Perhaps iOS is just getting less simple?

22. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Lollipop's UI is deliberately slow. I want my animations to happen quicker than the current animations in Android 5.0. I like the way Apple's animations in OS X and iOS look great and move quickly, such that you notice and think "hey that's slick" the first time, but you don't get tired of it.

23. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Agreed. I'm still not switching, but the bugs are starting to get old. Things that would have been fixed quickly just stay from update to update.

24. oldmacs macrumors 68040

Safari is as slow and laggy as all get out. It can't keep multiple tabs open on the iPads. Springboard UI is glitchy and laggy, random app crashes, mail sometimes opens to a blank screen which just shows my background wallpaper, multitasking glitches graphically when apps are open, closed and when the multitasking menu is opened.. and the list goes on and on.

There are bugs in iOS 8 that have been around for ages... My music sometimes randomly deletes, it tries to play each song but can't than deletes it.

I do clean installs and yet it keeps happening. Its bloody annoying.

25. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

I've experienced absolutely zero of these issues.

Granted, I always wait to update to a new OS after a few point releases. Or more specifically, the spring or summer after each iOS release. That's when Apple gets almost all the bugs fixed. That way Apple has the public test the software, and it gives Apple the info it needs to fix the bugs that can only be found with expansive public testing. Apple's internal testing can only find so many bugs. Same goes for all other companies and operating systems.

I do this because I'd rather have solid, polished, working software than 'exciting,' new, buggy software.