We need SS without LTE

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by chiefs1968, Oct 29, 2017.

1. chiefs1968 macrumors member

Why could Apple not have made the Series 3 without LTE also in Stainless Steel as an option? Not to be picky but the aluminum version feels light and a little cheap.

2. Zxxv macrumors 68040

The aluminium version is best for working out. Thats why its light.

3. chiefs1968 thread starter macrumors member

Ok

4. Zxxv macrumors 68040

Try working out you'll understand. It aint cheap. Its fit for purpose.

5. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

They used it as a differentiator for the stainless this time. You can't get one without it - to help justify the higher prices.

I suspect next revision, they'll all have cellular. Hopefully the carriers will have knocked the price of connecting them down to $5 a month by then ($10 is a bit much for just provisioning an additional line on the same account).

6. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Not sure what this has to do with the OP's post. The OP indicated the aluminum is cheap and light, which is obviously why they prefer the stainless.

And for the record, the stainless being used for physical fitness works perfectly fine for many as well.

7. jthiele87 macrumors newbie

8. bambooshots macrumors 65816

And it's only an extra $70.

If that kind of cost turns you away, you probably don't need it.

9. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Just a reminder, for that extra $70 you get LTE capability (you get to decide if you want to pay for an activated connection) and double the storage over the base Series 3, from 8 GB to 16 GB before reductions for watchOS and user content.

Dave

10. Zxxv macrumors 68040

Has everything to do with it.

Try doing fight training. Throwing punches and stuff. The extra weight is not good thing.

11. bambooshots macrumors 65816

But the challenge isn't insurmountable either.

To do weight workouts with the watch on and it poses no problems even with 4+ plates on the bar.

12. Zxxv macrumors 68040

Fight training. I said fight training. Fighting.

13. bambooshots macrumors 65816

Train like you fight. If you get in a fight you'll likely have the watch on so train with it.

14. Zxxv macrumors 68040

Oh Jesus. Are you not following a thing I've said.

15. bambooshots macrumors 65816

Sure I am. Your first two posts only mention working out.

You only mention fight training later. And I am a firm believer in training like you'll be fighting.

16. Zxxv macrumors 68040

My first posts mention more than working out. All of my posts are going over your head. Read slo.....w......e.....r

17. bambooshots macrumors 65816

Really? A lil bit of short term memory there. I'm not the problem here, bud.

18. Zxxv macrumors 68040

Exactly. So like I said. Its best for working out due to its lightness. Its designed that way. When working out it doesn't feel cheap. It feels fit for purpose. You caught up yet.

19. newellj macrumors 603

Agree. Or to put it a little differently, if you want to pay for the SS AW, Apple figures that the upcharge for LTE won't affect your buying decision.

20. bambooshots macrumors 65816

Precisely.

I'm exhibit A. I'm a watch guy. Always have been. I prefer the heft of SS so I went for the SS S3 even though I'll probably never turn on LTE due to being on the grandfathered UDP from ATT.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 30, 2017 ---
    OP doesn't care about working out. Did you figure that out yet? Or are you still going to peddle the cheap aluminum watch?

21. tgara, Oct 30, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2017

tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Thanks for this, I was wondering how much GB the SS model had. I made the jump from a Series 0, and boy is it an upgrade!

When you're talking about an upscale version of the Apple watch in the $600+ range, having the LTE as a standard feature seems reasonable. Just like when you buy an upscale model of a particular car -- it has standard features that are either optional or not available on the lesser models. In addition, I think generally Apple is trying to reduce the number of SKUs it has for its many products. The SS, Hermes, and Edition watches only come with Cellular; there is no non-cellular option. I believe this is partly why you can only buy the new iPhone 8 and X in either 64GB or 256GB. There is no middle tier of 128GB.

22. newellj macrumors 603

Ha ha. My "problem" is that I really can't give up wearing a mechanical watch, and for me the AW is purely a fitness/health wearable. So from the rest of the world's perspective, I'm wearing two watches - ultra-geeky. Oh well!

23. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Incorrect. You keep reiterating about how the aluminum watch is "designed that way". The Apple Watch is designed for how anybody wants to use it, regardless if it's aluminum or stainless. There is no one definitive answer.

24. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

If you want to buy my SS Series 2 -- barely two months old, received from Apple as a replacement for the SS first-gen that I dropped -- let me know.

25. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Ridiculous! I will take the SS over the sport any day. The difference in looks after a year of use is well orth it.