Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gator5000e

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2018
As I was doing a search for possible compatible remotes for the Apple TV, I saw this remote that is made by a Swiss Mobile company called Salt for it's customers that looks like the perfect Apple TV remote. I wish this company would sell it in the US but as far as I can tell it wouldn't work on US based Apple TVs. Shame as I am really tired of Apple's current Remote.

Salt Remote.png

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
Why do you think it won't work? You can pretty much set up any remote to work with an Apple TV.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
I just wish Apple wouldn't have removed the ability to put the box to sleep with an IR remote. I have the sleep timer set to 30 minutes so it's not a big deal, but it's slightly annoying.

I used CEC with the siri remote without issue until a recent update to my vizio TV broke CEC. So now I'm back to my old harmony.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Why do you think it won't work? You can pretty much set up any remote to work with an Apple TV.

Do you know that most Apple users don't know that? I have been following Apple for near 20 years now and even I didn't know that. The remote was a big reasonable not to purchase Apple TV.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Then you probably are using a Bluetooth compatible harmony remote because sleep and the tv button don’t work via IR.

My latest Harmony has a hub. All previous ones, and an older Harmony used with a different TV, were IR only. Remote has "Home" function which works just like the TV button - goes back to home screen as I have configured it.

It will not do application switching when you hit it twice. Very rarely have to kill apps so don't use it much.

It won't bring up control center. Didn't know about that until you mentioned it, but don't care. It goes to sleep eventually by itself.

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
Do you know that most Apple users don't know that? I have been following Apple for near 20 years now and even I didn't know that. The remote was a big reasonable not to purchase Apple TV.

I assumed everyone here would not, but perhaps I shouldn't have. :)

While it works, it's not always a good idea anyway. I immediately paired my TVs remote with the Apple TV but didn't use it for long. I can't remember now, but I think it lacked something useful that made me end up using the Apple TV remote which I hate. I like the concept of the touchpad, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired. It's much too sensitive and very often just accidentally nudging it with my foot will screw up whatever I'm watching. And it's too small. If it was bigger and less sensitive, I would probably love it.

as4life

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2015
My latest Harmony has a hub. All previous ones, and an older Harmony used with a different TV, were IR only. Remote has "Home" function which works just like the TV button - goes back to home screen as I have configured it.

It will not do application switching when you hit it twice. Very rarely have to kill apps so don't use it much.

It won't bring up control center. Didn't know about that until you mentioned it, but don't care. It goes to sleep eventually by itself.

You actually use the tv button if you add your Apple TV as Harmony Beta TV.

DaveSanDiego

macrumors member
May 12, 2020
I use a Harmony 655 with my 4kATV and it works just fine... It controlls my Samsung TV, the ATV, a soundbar, and a OTA DVR

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I used CEC with the siri remote without issue until a recent update to my vizio TV broke CEC. So now I'm back to my old harmony.

Same happened to me. I am really pissed at Vizio over it. Their support forum is full of the same complaints. Their CS reps post on reddit from time to time, and have acknowledged the issue. It's been over a year and there has been zero from Vizio to address it.

If anyone is currently considering it - do not buy a Vizio.

Reactions: mnsportsgeek

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
Same happened to me. I am really pissed at Vizio over it. Their support forum is full of the same complaints. Their CS reps post on reddit from time to time, and have acknowledged the issue. It's been over a year and there has been zero from Vizio to address it.

If anyone is currently considering it - do not buy a Vizio.

Interesting!

I've Had the odd issue with a device hot-plug warning message that was pretty random and disabling CEC fixed that problem. Here's a even weirder issue, despite having CEC disabled on my Vizio V series, my 4th gen ATV can still power off the TV despite disabling it in the options.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
As I was doing a search for possible compatible remotes for the Apple TV, I saw this remote that is made by a Swiss Mobile company called Salt for it's customers that looks like the perfect Apple TV remote. I wish this company would sell it in the US but as far as I can tell it wouldn't work on US based Apple TVs. Shame as I am really tired of Apple's current Remote.

So good.... but, Where is the Siri activation button?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.