Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Broken Friday

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
Who here would like if Time Machine had an option of adding exclusive folders, instead of just excluding folders?

SkydiveGuy

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2007
yes!

Network back would make me use this 1000%. I tried it for a week with a USB drive attached... Pain in the butt having all these wires all over the place on a macbook.

Needless to say I chose to use Carbon Copy Cloner and it does better but it has to be done manually.

SkydiveGuy

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2007
actually...

... I should say a network backup to ANY drive on my network.... I dont want to have to go out and purchase an AirPort router just to do backups.

psonice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
Strange, I'm using network backups with time machine now. I'm not sure how though, it seems to have just happened on it's own! I don't have an airport base station (just a netgear access point), air disk or anything, just a shared firewire external disk connected to an imac. Here's what happened:

I plugged the firewire disk into my powerbook, thinking I'd do that perhaps once a week as a backup. I set time machine up, and did the first backup.

Then, I changed my mind, and decided to try a backup over wifi. I shared the FW disk on the imac, and connected to it with the powerbook. I opened time machine prefs on the powerbook to set it up, but couldn't - it had already started a backup to the FW disk!

So, I guess you can either do a network backup straight off, or if not connect the backup disk locally first and it'll then pick up the backup over the net later.

SkydiveGuy

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2007
yeah

That's the only way to do a network backup at the moment (officially). You are using a shared disk working off of a Leopard-based server.

That is my problem... I recently switched to mac and want to be able to backup to a drive on another PC (not mac).

this is an evil ploy to get people to buy mac minis!!! :D

Retired
May 16, 2006
I would like a GUI method, but this will allow networked drives in TM:

Code:
defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
I would like a GUI method, but this will allow networked drives in TM:

Code:
defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1

I did that for my WD MyBook but Time Machine still had "issues" with the disk once it was mounted on the AEBS. It could not find my older backups and newer ones kept overwriting the previous backup. That and the AEBS "losing" the connection to the disks occasionally gives me a less than satisfactory experience.

Broken Friday

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
So what I think is needed:

Inclusion of single (and multiple) files, and the ability to just choose one or more files, stand alone

Scroll ability with scroll ball

What I want:

Sound effects when in T-Mac.

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2004
Even though it would make the whole "going back in time" aspect of Time Machine less effective, I would welcome an option to change the backup frequency. Once a day is really enough for me, and I'd set it for while I'm asleep.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.