Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thedon1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
Macworld did a seperate review on the HDMI adapter, and most reviews commented on it.

From having a quick read this morning, it looks like the lead wil mirror whatever your doing and on a 16:9 TV, will have black bars. If in mirrored mode, you start playing a video or use an app that has video out, it will play in it's proper resolution and aspect ratio, therefore automatically stop mirroring.

So are you guys excited by this?

I think there are many possibilites, xbmc on a jailbroken ipad, mirror it to the ipad, and then when playing a movie it would swicth to video out mode(full 16:9 720p). Now they could even have an airplay option instead. Let's hope devs make use of this.

DS3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2011
Can we presume its not encrypted like say, ps3 or cable tv is?

It could be nice to be able to capture ipad footage to my pc without any hassle.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Hmm, the ability to mirror the iPad 2 to an external monitor (if it has HDMI input) is a really cool feature that has been pretty much ignored so far by the release press.
I was determined that my iPad 1 would last me until iPad 3 comes out but this is almost enough of a reason for me to upgrade to iPad 2. I'll have to see what else comes out of the woodwork once people have them in hand and then make a decision ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.