Other We should always state whether we hold our phone close to our face

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 77sunsetstrip, Nov 3, 2018.

?

How close do you hold your phone to your face?

1. Close

28.6%
  2. Medium

42.9%
  3. Far

28.6%
  1. 77sunsetstrip, Nov 3, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2018

77sunsetstrip macrumors member

All these interesting debates about which phone to buy fail to mention how close we hold our phone to our eyes. I hold my phone about six inches from my eyes, because that's where my focal point is without glasses. I have perfect vision at that distance. My friend holds his phone maybe eighteen inches or more from his eyes. That makes all the difference. So...

For a close holder, the OLED screen may cause headaches due to PWM. For a far holder, it may not.
    For a close holder, Face ID often doesn't work. For a far holder, it almost always works.
    For a close holder, the XR 326 ppi resolution may be too fuzzy. For a far holder, it is not.
    For a close holder, a big screen may be too big. For a far holder, a big screen is fine.

I think we should all state whether we are a close holder or not when we compare and comment on phones.

2. davidbf1 macrumors newbie

I put my phone next to my ear when I’m speaking, I find it helps me hear the person at the other end of the line, and them to hear me clearly :)

3. AppleHaterLover macrumors 68000

Six inches? Holy Batman. That should not be doing your eyesight any favors.

4. 77sunsetstrip thread starter macrumors member

--- Post Merged, Nov 3, 2018 ---
    Yes that’s my focal point without glasses. It’s fine for my eyes. I see a lot of people doing the same. So my comments on a phone are not really valid for someone who holds the phone much further away.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I have noticed that “some” people always use the speaker for talking on their iPhone.

Maybe they are so “oily” that they need to do so.

I prefer to have the earpiece next to my ear.

But then that is my preference.

6. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

I just put a cheap pair of reading glasses on and hold the phone an arms length away..

7. Packers1958 macrumors 65816

8. antwon412 macrumors member

I have an Xr. I have bad eyesight. I hold my phone about 6-8” from my face. Text is perfectly sharp. Not fuzzy at all. But Face ID doesn’t work. I always have to try it a second time holding phone farther away. An annoyance.

9. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

I know in another thread you’re trying to determine if it impacts whether or not pwm will cause headaches and other problems. I tried both ways, using without glasses and holding close, though not as close as some of you all seem to. And with glasses and further away.

Distance will probably have something to do with whether or not the different sensor lights bother your eyes. I think it might.

But nothing seems to stop pwm from causing misery. I desperately wanted to keep my XSMax. I tried everything. It doesn’t help.

10. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Some men’s “6 inches” is longer than others. :cool:

11. MyMacintosh macrumors 6502

MyMacintosh

Good point. Also whether the person in question uses glasses or not. In my class, I’ve noticed a lot of the people who wear glasses have no problem with the smaller phones, or smaller laptops

I hold my phone about 1-2 feet depending

12. StellarVixen macrumors 68000

StellarVixen

As the time passes, I find my self holding my phone farther and farther from my face.

That's a nice friendly reminder which says: "You are getting old, you know?".