We wait. We must wait. We will wait. We vs Apple with MBP in the middle.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hundert, Feb 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hundert macrumors regular

hundert

Apple, as any other company, is a company that strives for profit increase.

In this thread, I want to give you my point of view of why we should wait for updates. I believe, it will help many people with the choice they are about to make.

The reasons for waiting are pure logic, I will try to stay as scientific as possible and the area that I am concentrating on are ECONOMIC ONLY. There will be no "Oh my God, they really should update, because I want to!" No, everything will be clear and visible.

And your opinions are welcome. And by the way, before I start, I want to remind you that we, the customers, are one group, and Apple, the other, so no matter what, we should stay together on this deal for a mutual benefit, about that in details later.

We live in a world, where, wherever there is a need for something, this need is filled with supply. Whenever there is a need to cut digital video, people create Premiere and Final Cut. Whenever we want to feel clean, toilet paper gets invented and it fits the need. There are millions of examples.

In a capitalistic world, the world we are living in today, the drive for inventing and filling the need is purely due to profit. Filling the biggest gap with a unique product has a very rewarding effect. Ask Bill Gates about that.

Now, back to Apple and Mac.

What is the reason old computers lose value? Not because they are slow! Because there is a smaller demand for them! The demand is: I want to watch HD on my pc, I want to render fast in FCP, I want to play games that were released recently, I want a better display, longer battery life - whatever it is, the demand changes, and the old supply becomes worthless, and we all know, when demand falls, the value goes the same way with it.

**Now, let's take a look at current Macbook Pro 15. 2,53Ghz, 250GB, NVIDIA 9400 (no memory) and that for $1,699.00 from 2010.
    **Now look at my 500 dollar craigslist 17inch, 2.4Ghz, 250GB, Nvidia8600. from 2007.

(Note: European prices for used macs are much higher, I bought mine in Santa Monica)

A slight drawback in overall performance. Huge leap in design, display quality and battery.

Why was my book so cheap? Because there is a LOW demand on its design, battery life, display quality.

Why are new ones expensive?: for the reasons mentioned above, but not for its performance.

Do you see the problem? The demand for actual properties of what a computer should do does not seem to affect the price a lot. The computer must be able to calculate things, have a certain amount of work done within a specific time period. The speed is measured in fps, seconds, Ghz, Gb/sec, etc

People still buy this product, despite of a very old and outdated hardware. Why? Because they do not need the computer to be fast. I am not wrong: the demand for high speed is LOW among average macbook pro user.

It is fact that people buy Macbook Pro for its design, quality and maybe reputation of Apple Products. Everyone agrees. Sale numbers agree. Steve Job's pockets agree. Bill Gates agrees too, in a sad way probably.

And we must agree, the performance of a laptop is no longer defined by its performance in apps. Not in our minds, but in sale numbers. My own opinion: I want the fastest macbook pro possible. Period.

It is fact that people buy macbook to just surf the net, write some college papers, and never fully use their laptop.

Now more about Performance:

What's inside of Macbook Pro, is also a result of demand and supply structure. If its performance was neglected completely, say, Intel Pentium II 233MMX inside, no one would buy it. But where the demands lie, the current macbook pro can fill the gap: watch hd video (downloaded, as there is no Blue Ray), have a word processor, and a browser and people who truly need performance, are left out, since every business operates on one of the premises of utilitarism (utilitarianism): It is good, as long it is good for the majority.

OUR POWER AS CUSTOMERS

Companies always look at consumers like at brainless flock of sheep that can be manipulated in any way. But don't you forget:

We, the people, have the power to control companies.

Simply, because we can demand.

The demand vs supply power is 50/50, unless the customer is blinded, or the company is not doing good. Right now, Apple has a higher power over consumers. Many reasons for this: new, groundbreaking products, the hardware monopoly in its sphere, the design, media buzz, but I think, these are not worth mentioning, and the thread already becomes a novel.

WHAT WE WANT: Every one, who started a thread about demanding update for MBP, wants better insides of macbooks pro.

HOW WE CAN CHANGE IT: We know, if the demand falls, the value of a product drops, and instead of this product, an updated version of this very one fills the need (the demand) in order for a company to maintain or continue to receive profit.

WE NEED TO LOWER THE DEMAND

How we do it? Simply DO NOT BUY THE CURRENT Macbook Pro and WAIT FOR THE NEW ONES.

You, as a customer, have responsibility to buy best possible products, or else you do not support the idea of competition. This responsibility of ours is inborn. We always want more for less. It is in the laws of sociology, physics, biology - a universal rule. We want to invest less and have higher returns. We want to do no homework and get A's. That understood.

Now, buying an outdated Macbook Pro, you break this responsibility, and you make yourself responsible for something else: that there is an outdated hardware inside the laptop.

Our choices as customers make products what they are. Without us, Starbucks would not be Starbucks. Apple would not be Apple. The demand sets the standards, not companies. Companies only make standards possible, they fill the gap, the supply the demanded. We are responsible for what quality toilet paper is in the shops. If everyone is satisfied with with bad paper, bad paper always be in the shops.

Fellow people, let's raise the standards, the demand for hardware, in order to get better products.

9400M in the $1,700 version of macbook pro is a SIN! And people, who buy a laptop with this graphic card, are reason why there is bad graphic card inside. We cannot blame them! We are always a reason what's inside Macs.

But if we raise our awareness of other people, who need better graphics card, faster processor, for the same price, we should open our hearts, and demand from apple a product, that fits everyone. USA has always functioned with rules of utilitarianism, but nevertheless, we have the power to change it, to have better products, better future, and have a friendly heart for other people, who want something more from the same product.

Having this power, I call you to wait for the upcoming macs.
    With every choice we make, be it a vote for a new president, or be it the choice between toothpastes, we change world. Let's make it a better place.

We wait. We must wait. We will wait.

Thank you!

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You accidentally posted this wall of text here on MR instead of your blog

That's OK, you can press "edit" and change it

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

Yup 9400M in a 1700$ computer is a sin, they should have a better overall card in the whole line and hybrid one on the high end laptops

4. iammikeDOTorg macrumors newbie

I did not read all you wrote because it was simply too long for a forum post. Since this was the largest font in your text, I can only assume it is your thesis. No matter how you justified it, I do not agree.

We, the readers of MacRumors.com's MBP forum, are .000001% of the market. We have zero impact on anything.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

5. hundert thread starter macrumors regular

hundert

:D

I know that this post will be read by maybe .000001% of mac users. But nevertheless, spreading the word sometimes helps. Plus, it does not apply to mac products only.

By the way, there are guilds that have huge power over companies. Writers guild for example. WGA

haha family guy, love it.

And sry I dont have a blog.

6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.