We will ALL receive our watches earlier than expected

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by CChevW, Apr 13, 2015.

1. CChevW macrumors newbie

I've been reading these forums a lot over the last few days (like many I assume), and the amount of people who have said they've ordered two but will cancel one after having their appointment at an Apple Store is ever growing. With all these orders being cancelled I am sure we will all get our wrists in between an Apple Watch earlier than expected :D

2. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

I don't think apple was expecting so many people to order both sizes and they were caught off guard. I hope you're right.

3. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

4. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I don't know that our dates will move up, but I get the feeling the earlier ship date is closer to the actual ship date.

5. HussRainbow macrumors regular

HussRainbow

Yeah well here's hoping all of us Space Black SS Buyers at least receive our watches within a week after launch.... Wishful thinking haha. Australia isn't too far from China... I'm sure they're churning out SS models like crazy at the moment!

6. BillyTrimble macrumors 6502a

I think that is incredibly illogical.

7. CChevW thread starter macrumors newbie

Do explain?

By the way i'm not suddenly saying everyone is going to get one on the 24th, but I do think we will receive them in the earlier part of our delivery windows.

8. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I almost clicked "like" in his post because the title of the thread implies some behind the scenes knowledge of Apple's logistics. The fact that "a lot" of orders got cancelled doesn't prove anything because Apple may have already factored cancellations when they did their original delivery estimates. I ordered my space black watch at 5:00 am eastern, only 2 hours after the frenzy began and I got a shipping estimate of "June". Here it is several days later and my shipping estimate is still "June".

I spoke in chat with someone at Apple about cancelling my order and ordering a SS with milanese loop instead because that model was still showing 4-6 weeks a full 8 hours after I'd ordered mine. The agent said it's not a good idea to cancel because I would lose my place in line.

Here is the real reason I think we'll get our watches sooner. This one is based on anecdotal evidence from previous Apple product launches. I think Apple tends to intentionally inflate shipping times during the initial order process to 1) avoid disappointing customers and 2) give the haters less to talk about. Case in point, I got my iPhone 6 several weeks sooner than the initial promise date and I never considered complaining about it one bit.

Shipping times tend to "normalize" after the first customers begin receiving the new product so while I'm disappointed my "June" estimate hasn't improved by today, I'd be surprised if my June estimate doesn't improve right around April 24. So I agree with you that a lot of us will get our watches sooner than our initial delivery estimates, but not because of a particular number of cancellations. I think the reasons are more complex than that.

9. lellis2k macrumors 6502

lellis2k

It sounds logical to me, 1,000 ordered, so my order (number 1,001) is estimated to be be ready in June.
    Then, 300 of the 1,000 get cancelled, my order will now be ready in May.

Please explain why this isn't logical.

10. ethan028 macrumors 6502a

ethan028

How do you know what order number you are?

11. GmDude66 macrumors 6502

Hypothetically.

12. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

The illogical part is assuming that the cancelled orders are a significant percentage of the total. It could just as easily be that you are number 1,200,000 and 10,000 orders were cancelled.

13. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

This.

With iPhone pre-orders I'm usually finished within 2-3 minutes with a solid launch day delivery date. Several of my friends though tend to run into problems that delay their orders by 30~ minutes or so, pushing their expected delivery date out by 2-3 weeks. I've always told them to sit tight and hope for the best. Sure enough, they always receive their iPhones on or very close (2-3 days) to launch day.

I hope this will be the case with the Watch. I used 6 gift cards and a credit card to order mine. In the time it took to enter the gift cards (90~ seconds?) my delivery window slipped to early May. I'll be out of town on launch day, and that weekend, so I set mine to be shipped to my sister's house since I'll be seeing her on the 25th/26th/27th. I'm hoping it follows Apple's history of "surprise & delight" and shows up at her house while I'm there, or at the least sticks to the proper date and doesn't show up at her house before I can change the shipping address after I've left.