We will know sep 9 if the new mini cometh.

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Zellio, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Zellio macrumors 65816

Zellio

2. QWERTYMac7 macrumors regular

Harsher sentences for parole violators.

Oh, and world peace.

3. crsh1976 macrumors 6502a

September 9 is all about the new iPhone(s), possibly a new iPad, but they won't announce a new Mac that day.

4. scottsjack macrumors 68000

OMG. Why would you ask such a question? Have you read any of the pathetically long threads here at MacRumors on the same subject?

I'm beginning to believe that there are some serious issues, if you know what I mean, among the poor devils waiting for Apple to bring out up-to-date products.

Those are products incidentally that Apple does not really care about. If it doesn't run on iOS, plug into an iOS device (ghetto headphones) it just is not very important over the last couple of years.

5. thedeske macrumors 6502a

To the money changers, I agree but they will address the hardware as usual with a minor bump AKA the last "As Many Years As You Care To Count" per planned yada yada. The next one always comes, but the nets Always moan and groan till it does. This is equal to wanting to pee on a road trip when Dad gave you the chance 40 miles ago. Remember? I thought so ;)

Same Ol' IMO

6. Zellio thread starter macrumors 65816

Zellio

All that they are announcing is an iPhone and Yosemite, so it's the perfect time to announce the new mac mini.

7. Notario macrumors newbie

Long Live the Mac Mini.....If Only Apple Lets It

The MacMini is a brilliant product, as much so as the MacBook Air, in my opinion.

All the hallmarks of the genius of Jobs, under whose leadership the product was created.

It's a pity the world's near-biggest company has given the update so little priority over the past year.

8. Cape Dave macrumors 68000

Well spoken. And oh so true.

9. nyjoe610 macrumors newbie

Mac Mini truly is beautiful, compare it to the intel NUC, more like intel YUCK.
    (aesthetics wise)

10. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

I'm not so sure we'll know by Sept 9th. The last minor updates have fallen on days without major events.

Macbook Air was updated 4/29
    Macbook Pro was updated 7/29

Both Tuesdays, but on days without major Apple Events. Last Apple event was the WWDC in early June. They could have easily introduced the Macbook Air Haswell update then but they did it earlier. I just don't think the Mac Mini (which gets a lot less love than the MBA or the MBP) would be released on an Apple event day that's supposed to be fore iOS devices.

I'm obviously hoping for sooner because I'd like a larger capacity SSD (yes, I could do it myself on the 2012, but I don't trust my fat fingers) and higher standard ram and maybe some TB2s thrown in with the updated wifi standard as well.

11. janitor3 macrumors regular

Yosemite will be available for download at the end of September, so Apple will announce the new OS and a new MacMini to put your new OS on. :cool:
    (hopefully)

12. Narked Diver macrumors regular

Narked Diver

What I find hard to understand is that given the battlechest that Apple has and given how small their hardware catalogue why is it so hard to refresh them regularly?

As far as I can see they only have 8 hardware products - Mac Pro, Mac mini, iMac, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, Apple TV, iPad and iPhone

Obviously the real money is made in the latter 2, bot given the overlap in components in 5 of the remaining 6 products I don't see that annual updates of them would be too difficult

13. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Only 8? There's other hardware lines that some folks think are also important...
    How about iPod? Airport Extreme/Time Capsule/Airport Express? Thunderbolt display? Keyboard/mouse/Magic Trackpad? Earpods/other misc stuff that are necessarily separate lines, but tied to various other products… Notice how much "news" time with the "reversible" USB connector, for example.

There's the potential for any of those to "come out" on Sept 9, but all we really can know at this point is what little has been pre-announced, which I think is just iPhone and Yosemite. Nothing else NEEDS that announcement moment, even if lots of folks want to hear about everything under the Apple "sun".

14. rols macrumors 6502

They are announcing a new iPhone and probably the release date of iOS8. If Yosemite gets mentioned at all it won't be much, possibly a target release date but unlikely. There is no way on earth the mini will get mentioned even if it DID happen to be updated.

15. Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

If there is no new mac mini I will have to give up on mac as it's the only one I can possibly afford.

16. Neodym macrumors 68000

Neodym

For the price of a Mac mini you could get other Macs refurbished or second hand, with the latter option even allowing you to get a Mac Pro.

17. SoCalReviews macrumors 6502

...more likely to happen than a new Mini arriving in 2014... but you never know... This thread can be very convincing at times.

----------

You're buying?

18. Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

The only option I could live with would be a mac pro if the power is there and it's not dead on osc updates are not dead. Otherwise a macbook pro or air at that price would be old or underpowered, not worth getting rid of my 5 year old laptop.

Good point though, I will investigate used pro's.

19. Intelligent macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

I dont understand the title. For a new mini i would love a redesigned one with better specs and a decicated gpu. USB3/Thunderbolt 2 would be nice too. PCie SSD should be standard, atleast up to 1TB.

20. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Not happening.
    1. iPhone event.
    2. I don't expect a Mac mini refresh until Broadwell.

For some reason Apple has skipped it for Haswell. Their macbooks will get Broadwell first, with hopefully Mac mini following shortly after.

Dedicated gpu needs to return.

----------

Even though the chipsets and components are somewhat shared.

There are schematic differences, and completely different pcba layout. Enclosure is different, still needs full thermal analysis. UL approval, FCC approval, etc etc etc. The engineering time is significant.

Apparently Apple feels the mini is a good place to use up old Ivy Bridge stock. It's not a power sensitive system like the macbooks, and not as easy to sell people as the iMacs.

21. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Normally I would tend to agree with you, but then I came across this... what do these three previous events have in common?

Hmm... :D :p

22. usarioclave macrumors 65816

As a note, someone on Macintouch noted:

"A friend and former co-worker works at a company designing high-end automated sales and inventory kiosks. (He hates it when I call them vending machines.) They go through 20-30 Mac Minis a day, as each of their kiosks uses one. I know he gets inside information on the Mac Mini road map. (He has admitted as much, apparently being at an OEM that buys ~6500 Mac Minis a year makes you privy to some of this info.) The NDA prevents him from telling me anything of substance, but he does drop hints, like earlier this summer he told me that they are re-designing the mount and cabling for their computer, and they planned on rolling into production towards the end of this year. He also told me that the price they pay for them for vs. what the consumer price is would make me cry.
    "

http://www.macintouch.com/readerreports/apple/index.html#d30aug2014

23. blairh macrumors 68040

blairh

Assuming my ancient Mini holds on, I will wait until the October keynote. After that I must purchase a new Mini.

24. El Hikaru macrumors regular

Remember, mini is an upgradable desktop. Apple wants you to upgrade by yourself.