Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ksoze

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
One of the challenges in running a company with a successful product line is maintaining current sales while creating enhanced products within the same line. Auto dealers have dealt with this forever as auto model years bring changes in fairly predicable time periods, yet they seem to keep the inventory moving through discount incentives and direct sales. Even as huge model changes occur within a car line every few years, prospective buyers generally do not freak out as much over a possible $30K+ investment as they do with a $300 cell phone investment.

So to those tormented by indecision buy what you need now and get over it. The day after the new iPhone 4G is announced, a new thread will appear for the upcoming iPhone 4GS and the features will be spectacular.

Sometimes, the current model is actually better than the next one – just ask some BMW or Acura owners.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
^ I'm in the same boat ... what's the point here?
You realize that many who worry are likely not of age to buy a car right?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Hey, I've stressed about buying a car, just like an iPhone - especially when I know a significant change to a car I'm interested in is coming for the next model year though not being in a position to wait.

However, it's not common that the next car model will be twice as fast, do more and cost half as much as the one you just bought. It is, however, that way with phones, computers, TVs and other high-tech items.

MTI

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
Generally, a luxury car's chassis has a 5-7 year production life cycle, with the intervening years bringing modest equipment or styling changes. Obviously, tooling costs, manufacturing site costs and supply contracts make that necessary. Also, car makers announce major chassis changes well in advance, the term "long lead" is the industry phrase.

Mobile electronics have a considerably shorter cycle.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
One of the challenges in running a company with a successful product line is maintaining current sales while creating enhanced products within the same line. Auto dealers have dealt with this forever as auto model years bring changes in fairly predicable time periods, yet they seem to keep the inventory moving through discount incentives and direct sales. Even as huge model changes occur within a car line every few years, prospective buyers generally do not freak out as much over a possible $30K+ investment as they do with a $300 cell phone investment.

So to those tormented by indecision buy what you need now and get over it. The day after the new iPhone 4G is announced, a new thread will appear for the upcoming iPhone 4GS and the features will be spectacular.

Sometimes, the current model is actually better than the next one – just ask some BMW or Acura owners.

Wished more would heed this advice and we'd have a couple hundred less threads on MR repeating the same thing.

Kenzembo1

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Youngstown, OH
Hmm...I don't know about the OP, but I get buyer's remorse whenever I spend over $100 a lot of the time. I appreciate everything that I have, but still there are some things I lust over - I usually leave those items for birthdays, Christmas, etc. It's always nice having something to work towards, it helps you set goals and stay organized.

beamer8912

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2009
However, it's not common that the next car model will be twice as fast, do more and cost half as much as the one you just bought. It is, however, that way with phones, computers, TVs and other high-tech items.

What this guy said.

Unfortunately OP, you're comparing apples to oranges.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.