Weak antenna / WiFi issues

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by elephantnut, May 23, 2015.

1. elephantnut macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

Picked up a 1.2GHz/512GB model just yesterday, and I'm wrestling with some WiFi issues. I've done most of the suggested stuff listed on the internet for troubleshooting WiFi, like deleting preferred networks, deleting preferences, turning off awdl0, turning off Bluetooth, etc.

My issue seems to be more of a signal strength problem.

- Asus RT-68U router.
    - 2.4 GHz N works fine from my room (~37% signal strength according to Network Strength from the app store)
    - 5 GHz AC works fine up until I enter my room, where it stays connected, but nothing loads (I can't ping anything either).

~30% signal strength from the Network Strength app, and the indicator on the top right shows that it's connected, but seems to cut in and out (it'll start looking for the network again). When I check its status on my router, it either doesn't show up, or shows up with just one bar.

I can't move my router as it's connected to the rest of the house, but my MacBook's antenna seems to be significantly weaker than any other device in my house.

I have my iPad, iPhone, an older Windows laptop, and a cheap Windows tablet which can all hold a 5 GHz connection from my room (maybe with lower bars, but the connectivity is still there).

Has anyone else run into this problem? If I got a lemon then I'll have to just get a refund - there's no stock anywhere. :(

Thanks.

2. elephantnut thread starter macrumors newbie

Quick update: it seems to be an OS X thing. It holds the connection fine under Windows. I guess I'll keep trying every fix until something works.

3. Glenn.eu macrumors member

Glenn.eu

I'm having wifi issues on my new retina macbook from the moment that i open the mac Downcast podcast app. (Support from the app is notified but they can't find the problem)

My wifi slows down to a crawl every time i open this app even if this app is empty and idling.