Weak eye vision, Will i benefit from the rMBP ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bo-waleed, Jul 19, 2012.

1. bo-waleed macrumors 6502

I also use the screen zoom about 90% the time i use my current 2008 MBP.

Anyone here have weak vision, Do you notice a big difference between cMBP and rMBP ?

2. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

What do you mean by weak eye vision? Are you myopic or hyperopic? If myopic, yes you will notice a difference, perhaps even a bigger one than normal visioned people, if hyperopic, probably won't see any difference.

3. bo-waleed thread starter macrumors 6502

What is ''myopic , hyperopic'' ?

I mean by weak eye vision is : i can't see anything far away from me clearly.

I have to stick to the screen to see things clearly, Lol.

But thanks for screen zoom, I use it a lot.

I zoom about 70% the screen.

4. eron macrumors 6502

Stop straining your eyes. The more you strain them, the worse it will get.
    Eyes work best in the most relaxed mode.

I'm actually going to suggest that you reduce your zoom, and start reading smaller font. The smaller the area your eyes have to focus, the better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bates_method
    --
    So no, I don't recommend you getting the rMBP thinking it will be easier on your eyes.

5. Rocky244 macrumors regular

Another approach to this topic:

If you use zoom frequently, you may significantly benefit from the retina model. As when you zoom with the retina you will still have crisp text, as apposed to the older models, where zooming presents large blocky letters.

Could be quite a game changer for you... If you have access to a local Apple Store, just hop over and check it out, you'll know in 30 seconds whether or not it helps/hurts.

6. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

Ok so your myopic. It likely would be a noticeable difference, but it's best to do as others said, go have a look for yourself.

7. Slivortal macrumors 6502

Without knowing the details of your vision, it's hard to tell. For example, I notice some pixellation from my full-sized 13" MBP (with some improvement). If I were to magnify to the extent you do, things would look very pixelated.

Assuming that your vision of the enlarged screen is as good as a normal person's vision of the regular-sized screen, you may see some improvement just as a normal person would. If your zoomed vision is better than I thought, you may see a much larger improvement.

I doubt it'll be worse, though. ;)

The Bates method goes against most aspects of modern optometry. Maybe it could be true, but at the moment it is classified as a "fringe" theory. Most optometrists would advise against constant eye-strain or not wearing glasses when doing important things like driving cars.

I thought about this too, but as I said above, his vision on a zoomed screen could approximate our vision on a regular screen (ie, the inherent bluriness in vision will make up for the fact that the words themselves would be blurrier).

8. Rocky244 macrumors regular

Yeah, I'd put it at - likely to be an improvement, extremely unlikely to be a problem.

Really though, no way of knowing unless you go, or find someone with the same optics as you. I think the former is probably easier...

9. bo-waleed thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you mean the screen zoom is harmful for my eyes ?

I don't think it strains my eyes.

But if i didn't use it i have to stick to the screen, about 10cm away. I think this way it will strain my eyes a lot.

----------

The problem is that the rMBP isn't released in my country yet, So i can't check it.

I was going to buy it from USA (my cousin is there).

10. eron, Jul 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2012

eron macrumors 6502

Well, the Bates method actually strongly supports what you mention above. So perhaps, it's not so contrary. As I mentioned earlier, the point is to NOT strain your eyes.

As with all training, do it progressively.
    --
    To illustrate my point, open up the picture I've attached. You may like 1 font size over the other. Try going one line down progressively. You will find that the smaller the font, the easier it's on the eyes, as long as you can see it. Don't force yourself to go smaller of course. The eyes took so many years to 'see incorrectly', and will take time to adjust. the main point is not to worsen it by using overly large fonts. The eyes and mind likes to focus, and not to look over a large area.

Attached Files:

11. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

I'm 52 and wear glasses. The rMBP (for me) is much easier to read than the cMBP with hi-res antiglare that I returned.

12. Pupator macrumors member

Here's some advice. Rather than getting serious medical advice from anonymous people on an Internet forum - go see a doctor. Ask him about the laptop too.

13. M87 macrumors 65816

My vision is very bad and I think the difference is huge. Go check one out in the store if you can. More clarity is more clarity.

14. kdoug, Jul 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2012

kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

Now that's funny.

15. blow45 macrumors 68000

I have astigmatism and the ipad with more clarity is giving me headaches because of the poor colour temperature of the screen (not adjustable to ipad 2 quality levels even after jb), as well as the poor brightness of the screen (much reduced, so you can't comfortably use it at lower brightness level, I guess it loses contrast), so I don't know what to suggest op. I was hoping ipad 3 would be a godsend, but it isn't despite the more clear font.

From what I've looked in store the retina is indeed much clearer, in addition the glass doesn't cause extra reflections due to the distance from the panel, as in the ipad 3, but I also noticed that the brightness isn't were it's supposed to be due to the retina and you have to crank it all the way up, which means more eye strain. Ips panels have much worse contrasts than crt ones, and va ones...

In addition apple insist on not offering options to change font types for the menu bar and finder. Windows has clear type, and it's well, very clear indeed...

Lastly, the led backlight could be an issue for many. As in the apple cinema display it seems something is strange with it, the pulse modulation it uses or something, again close to max brightness is were you have to keep it to not feel funny to some sensitive eyes...

I am really at a loss as to what I should suggest then, since I 've not sorted my own problems...

For me the best option would be a va panel twice their current resolution so it could take advantage of apple's retina-zation, but would keep high contrast and minimum antiglare coating, and probably manufactured by someone other than apple who knows a thing or two about screen tech and have the tech for panel uniformity... eizo, nec, etc. No such thing exists at the moment, and it won't exist any time soon.

Sorry to add to the confusion maybe....:eek:

But these are the parameters at least, the way I see them.

----------

could you please do us all a favour and get that annoying motion picture excerpt out of the way, this is a forum thread, not a playground...

16. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

There are rules here blow45, :rolleyes:

Trolling. Do not post in order to anger other members or intentionally cause negative reactions. For a given post, this can be a subjective call, but a pattern of such posting or an especially egregious case will get you banned.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Forum_Rules#Instantly_Bannable_Offenses

17. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Honestly that will depend on your particular vision. Check one out at a store if you can. Make sure to go into the display preferences and try the "Larger Text" scaling modes.

18. blow45 macrumors 68000

yeah well man, you put a big joker movie excerpt, like I 've seen no one else do here, which was also half ironic to the op, and you tell me I angered and trolled you for asking you to take it down? Come on...

19. bo-waleed thread starter macrumors 6502

Just want to be sure.

I will try to find rMBP to check it but will i benefit from it if i use screen zoom ?

Let's say i have cMBP and rMBP and then zoomed about 70%, Will the rMBP be better than cMBP ? (Can anyone try it ?[if you wear glasses])

20. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I'm almost 45, and recently joined the bifocal wearing crowd. Do a lot of reading online, and I was convinced the rMBA would help in this regard. Funny thing is, I went to the apple store and was able to get a demo retina and put it next to a 13" mba on display.

Without zooming, the text was clearer on the retina. But it was still too damned small for me to read. And when I zoomed in on the text on both displays, I couldn't tell too much difference. The retina had a barely perceptible improvement over the MBA.

So grab someone and lay eyes on the displays side by side before you shell out a ton of cash. I've got a spyder 4 pro coming in from ebay next week, so I'm going to calibrate my monitors and my 13" 2011 Air before I do anything else.

And there's a best buy near me that has a open box 27" thunderbolt display....that may be an option.