Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Weak iPod Nano Sales?

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
wow. i thought the nano was a really good seller. Even though i think the video sold better, it still says that it is the #1 seller on http://store.apple.com.

Scroll down to top sellers or something in the middle of the page on the left.

Comment

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
if this is true, they probably will increase when the next revisions come around aka larger storage capacity. Right now i think they might be a little high for many :)

Comment

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Digitimes

From experience, Digitimes are usually wrong. Take this with a pinch of salt.

Comment

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
i think its not selling as well is because of the size. 4 GB or about 1,000 songs. many people who have a mini have larger music collection the 4 GB. Also if you look at the price, for 30 gig isn't that more plus it plays video.

Comment

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
puckhead193 said:
Also if you look at the price, for 30 gig isn't that more plus it plays video.
I don't know about that though... In the past, I'm pretty sure Apple had similar price differences between different iPods and they all still sold.

I think it was all that negative press about the scratching. That and the fact that the Nano probably feels too tiny in a lot of peoples' hands.

Comment

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
puckhead193 said:
i think its not selling as well is because of the size. 4 GB or about 1,000 songs. many people who have a mini have larger music collection the 4 GB. Also if you look at the price, for 30 gig isn't that more plus it plays video.
Yea, the nano replaced the mini at the same pricepoint. So you got 2GB less storage than the mini and worse battery life...?

Why exactly was I supposed to "upgrade" from my mini?

nano sales will take off as soon as the nano at least matches the previous generation (the mini) in features.

Comment

celebrian23

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2006
Under the sun
I'm pretty surprised if this is true. The only reason I don't like nanos is that it's too small- I'd be afraid it'd accidently slip out of something without me noticing.

Comment

Savage Henry

macrumors 65816
Don M. said:
Yea, the nano replaced the mini at the same pricepoint. So you got 2GB less storage than the mini and worse battery life...?

nano sales will take off as soon as the nano at least matches the previous generation (the mini) in features.

Ditto that ... I'll ubuy the nano when it eventually catches up with the mini I bought for my lady nearly 2 years ago ...

Comment

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
Digitimes also reported we would have our PB and iBook G5's.. I'm still waiting.. :) Take this with a bucket of salt.

Comment

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
Ah my heart skipped a few beats (because I'm a share holder) then I read it was from Digitimes and I was thinking "Oh thank god! Apples sellling a $#!t load". Gotta love their track record:rolleyes:

Comment

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
Don M. said:

I really like my nano, more so than my gfs mini. That being said, most of my friends with the mini really like that form factor, the fact that it was aluminum, and in color, and other mini-ish things. Nano really is a proper successor to the Shuffle than the mini.

Comment

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
XIII said:
Digitimes also reported we would have our PB and iBook G5's.. I'm still waiting.. :) Take this with a bucket of salt.

My rule is, if digitimes reported it, then the reverse must be true ;). don't take any stock in this report... It's on page 2 for a reason.

Comment

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
I wouldn't be surprised if this was true, although I'm not sure that it is. However, the fact that Apple introduced the 1GB model kind of leads me to believe it is.

I thought Apple kind of dropped the ball with the Nano. People LOVED the Minis--the different colors, the size, the battery life (2nd gen) and storage capacity. The Nano kind of went against all of that. They should have kept the colors (blue, green, pink, white or black or both). They shouldn't have reduced the storage capacity from 4-6GB to 2-4GB. People don't want to pay the same for less. And there was a ton of bad press about the scratching. One great thing about the Minis was that they were so durable and very hard to scratch!

Comment

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
longofest said:
My rule is, if digitimes reported it, then the reverse must be true ;). don't take any stock in this report... It's on page 2 for a reason.

Apple is selling ground breaking numbers of iPod nano's! ;) :D

Comment

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
I wouldn't say Nano sales are "weak", but I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't as strong as expected due to 5G iPod Sales. Yeah, there's always been the low-end and high-end iPods, but the fact that the 5G iPod plays video makes it much more desireable. An extra 150 bucks for 30 gigs and the ability to play videos would sway quite a few people, I think.

It did me. ;)

Comment

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
"dumping" stock?

of NAND memory?

yeah right. selling to others, maybe, but not dumping!?!??? :confused:

Comment

macdong

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2003
Seattle, WA
Don M. said:

well, it's got a color screen ;)

Comment

sdavis8888

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2006
Colorado
8 GB iPod Nano Soon?

The article also shows prices for 8 GB flash modules, which have apparently dropped to below the price level of 4 GB flash modules from 3 months ago. At this price you would expect that Apple would introduce an 8 GB Nano soon. This gives people a reason to go to the Nano as it would finally have a larger capacity than a Mini. 2,000 songs is a significant amount of music. Maybe a Mini upgrade in April?

Comment

MrTchMan

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2005
Utah
I plan on buying one for my girlfriend but I might wait until the new Ipods are announced. If they are???

Comment

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
sdavis8888 said:
The article also shows prices for 8 GB flash modules, which have apparently dropped to below the price level of 4 GB flash modules from 3 months ago. At this price you would expect that Apple would introduce an 8 GB Nano soon. This gives people a reason to go to the Nano as it would finally have a larger capacity than a Mini. 2,000 songs is a significant amount of music. Maybe a Mini upgrade in April?
Very interesting.

I'd buy one at 8GB.

Comment

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
sdavis8888 said:

I could see apple updating the Nano line to 8GB, 4GB, 2GB...I really don't know who would buy the 1GB Nano...it just seems like next to no songs on it.

Comment

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
lilstewart92 said:
Very interesting.

I'd buy one at 8GB.
Well, I'd consider it. Battery life would have to be addressed. Heck, I'd be happy with a 6GB nano; that at least achieves parity with my Mini.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.