weak vibrate

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jordan eff, Jul 25, 2009.

1. jordan eff macrumors regular

does anyone else think the 3gs has a weak vibrate or is it just me

at work have my iphone on silent so it just vibrates but since i got the 3gs i dont even feel it vibrate atol and when lying on a flat surface it doesnt sound like the vibrate is as powerful as my 3g

2. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

I have heard others talk about this as well. Personally, I do not see a difference between my 3G and my 3GS. I never tested it, but I can't tell the difference. I never really paid attention.

Edit: Maybe all the parts are closer together in the 3GS (since it's slightly larger) so it can't vibrate quite as much? Just a simpleton speculation.

3. iArrudaG macrumors regular

iArrudaG

I can't really tell a difference between my 3g and 3gs.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Not to name any names, but I know of one person on this site, who could tell you for sure. Maybe, he'll pop into this thread.

5. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

I kinda think mine vibrates stronger. At least I can hear the vibration more than the 3G I had, but it is definitely not weaker.

6. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C106c Safari/528.16)

I've had my replacement iPhone 3G for a good 3 weeks now. Compared to my other 3G, this one's vibrator is definitely stronger.
    I've heard some people call it weak- all because of one vibrate. They compare the iPhone's vibrator to other phones that spaz out when a text comes.
    But in all honesty, I think the iPhone vibration level is fine.

7. Surrix macrumors regular

8. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

spaz? lol

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Well, he would be a good one to ID any differences between the vibrate for 3GS and the 3G, since he's owned both, and he has a knack for seeing small differences. But, I didn't mention any names.

10. drivesoslow macrumors newbie

For the last year I have had a 3G and I always leave it on vibrate, and it was fine, but now I have had the 3Gs for a week and I can't even tell when it vibrates.

Typically I have my phone sitting on my desk at work and I can here it vibrate, but the 3Gs is so week it makes little or no sound.

11. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

On the contrary, my 3GS's vibrate is the strongest one I've had since my RAZR. Both of my BlackBerries were so weak that I wouldn't even feel them if I had them in a pocket; the first time the vibrate went off on my iPhone while I was on a call, I almost thought I was being electrocuted. It startled me so much I nearly dropped the phone. And if it's in my purse, I can feel it through 2 layers of thick leather, a sweatshirt, and a t-shirt, so I'd say mine works pretty well. :)

12. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Mines weak to the point where it could be deemed defective. I most often hear it vibrate rather than feel it.

13. Mr. Brown macrumors member

My 3GS is quite weak. The 3G vibrates way stronger. Don't know if I should swap it for a new one.

14. scottuf macrumors 6502

mine is pretty weak too, but if jailbroken you can modify the vibration pattern. go into /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Celestial.framework and edit SystemSoundVibrationPatterns.plist (make a backup copy first!)

change the default key. This is how I have mine:

<key>Default</key>
    <dict>
    <key>Intensity</key>
    <real>1</real>
    <key>OffDuration</key>
    <real>0.10000000000000001</real>
    <key>OnDuration</key>
    <real>0.40000000000000002</real>
    <key>TotalDuration</key>
    <integer>2</integer>
    </dict>

it will vibrate .4 sec, not vib for .1 and will repeat for a total of 2 seconds. the default is for 1 cycle of .5 seconds. I miss a lot fewer now.

But you have to be jailbroken to ssh into the phone to do this.