Resolved Weak wifi/GPS signal on iPhone 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by umiwangu, Aug 1, 2012.

1. umiwangu, Aug 1, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2012

umiwangu macrumors 6502

I bought a 16 GB iPhone 3GS (5.1.1) off of Craigslist, and afterwards, I realized it has very weak wifi reception and apparently can't get any GPS signal. Where my other iPhones (2x 3GS) often get 2-3/3 wifi bars, this one can't pick up anything. Standing outside in the open sky, the Maps app spends more than a minute trying to get a fix, and eventually it gave up.

When I bought it, it had the iPad baseband on it, so I used Redsn0w to downgrade it to 05.13.04 and then unlocked it with Ultrasn0w.

The 3, 4, & 5 serial numbers are 025, so the iPad firmware bricking issue isn't the problem.

I searched a bit online and it seems like it's a known issue, but I haven't found any solutions yet. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2724930?start=45&tstart=0

Any ideas?

2. umiwangu thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess I'll probably just try to sell it then.

3. luisadastwin macrumors regular

luisadastwin

Many people claim that the newer iOS stop the GPS from working any further in 3GS iPhones, mainly due to the BASEBAND version.

So, I also tried to downgrade BASEBAND to an older version (05.13.04) using redsn0w in the latest version available (Version 0.9.15b3).

I am also trying to check all the thing I have to do to make it work...

You might want to check my story on this:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1498532

4. umiwangu thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi Luis, thanks for the reply.

I know that using the iPad baseband can cause certain versions of the 3GS to stop working, but it wasn't the case with this problem.

I actually got it fixed a couple weeks ago. I went ahead and ordered a new wifi/gps antenna from eBay for a couple bucks and replaced it. After that, wifi and gps were working as normal.

Perhaps this is your issue as well?

Seth