Weak WIFI on the iPhone 3GS...Why?!?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ericxd, Aug 13, 2009.

1. ericxd macrumors regular

When I use WIFI on my 32GB white iPhone 3GS, 'sometimes' the signal gets weak; like when I'm playing Slugger3D and I get disconnected :p

But the WIFI on my laptop and other computers are fine and always strong. Why is this happening? Even when my iPhone is the only device using WIFI, the signal sometimes get weak; up and down thing. WHY?

2. mappyman macrumors regular

I dont know I think there is a bug in 3.0.

I noticed it on my 3GS, when you use tunewiki for over 1 hour the WiFI just drops :eek:

3. fishstacks macrumors member

4. ericxd thread starter macrumors regular

my microwave is downstair and i'm not using it but wtf...how random...

5. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Various devices can interfere with wifi signal. Your stuff and your neighbors potentially. The microwave comment wasn't random, its a fact.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Come on! The microwave runs for "minutes" usually. It's not going to interfere with wifi over a long period of time, if at all (maybe an older model might interfere when it is running).

Just ignore him. Really. He's just trolling.

7. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Uh, are you kidding? At home if my microwave is on my wifi signal drops out completely and yeah it runs for minutes usually but where did he say it drops out for long periods? Microwaves, cordless phones, and bluetooth devices can easily interfere with wifi.

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Okay, we'll wait for the OP to see how long. How old is your MW?

But you can look at that guys posts....he's obviously trolling.

Edit: wonderful, he says nothing about a MW

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

9. ericxd thread starter macrumors regular

Im just in my room with my laptop and my iPhone. But like I said, my laptop's WIFI is a normal and if this is important, there's no problem when I switch to 3G at home.

and hopefully, someone can solve this as I hope not to be using 3G while I'm at home because of drop signals on WIFI.

10. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Based on the evidence you have presented, I cant help but say interference. 3G works normally, that makes sense. The wifi on the iPhone is weaker than on a laptop so it might take less for the signal to be lost on the iPhone. I can get no wifi signal near my bathroom in my house on my iPhone, but a ok signal on my laptop. Thus I have concluded that the iPhone has a weaker wifi signal.

So take a weaker signal, + potential interference, and you have a drop. I don't think its the firmware. At least I haven't noticed any change on my 3GS, 3G, and iPod Touch 1G.

11. Resist macrumors 68030

My WiFi is very weak on my 3G iphone since the 3.0 upgrade.

12. fishstacks macrumors member

I have an old ass cordless phone and every time it rings it knocks my iPhone off the network.

A ****** old microwave or cell phone could do this too.

13. stumeister macrumors newbie

Just got my first iPhone yesterday and I also experience issues connecting to a wifi network. My iPod touch connects fine 100% of the time, not had one connection failure in 10 months. The iPhone will fail to connect at least 50% of the time, from the same location as where the iPod is.

My iPod is on version 2.2.1. I'm guessing that the wifi hardware is the same in the 2 devices so it must be something to do with version 3.0.x ???

14. soulghost macrumors regular

soulghost

I've noticed that Sluggers "Weak Connection" has nothing to do with your WiFi. I'ts just a default message when their servers are too busy.

15. LinMac macrumors 65816

16. stumeister macrumors newbie

Bluetooth not on.

Tried some more tests, this time 2ft from the router.

On the iPod I can turn the wifi on and off repeatedly and it connects fine each time.

Do the same on the iPhone and it fails to connect regularly and when it fails it can take up to 5 reconnect attempts before it gets a connection.

Thought it might be the presence of the iPod that caused issues with the iPhone - like conflicting addresses or something DHCP related, but even with the iPod off and a static IP I still get the problem.

The wifi indicator shows full signal.

17. TomxHow macrumors member

I have found a loss of Wifi Signal since upgrading to 3.0 also :(

18. stumeister macrumors newbie

OK, think I found somehting.

I changed my wifi setting on the router from:

mixed 802.11n, 802.11g and 802.11b

to:

mixed 802.11g and 802.11b

And I get a connection everytime (so far).

Phew:)

19. ericxd thread starter macrumors regular

No man, cause I dont encounter that problem when I switch to 3G...
    and also, I dont ever have Bluetooth on:(

20. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Not long ago I performed a WiFi browsing battery test between my original 2G and my new 3GS. I placed them side by side on my desk and browsed identically between them. Three times during the six hour (continuous) trial, my 3GS completely lost WiFi signal (both phones were about 3 ft from my wireless router). I would touch a link and my 2G phone would load up the page while the 3GS would just churn and churn. Stopping the page and trying to reload would do nothing. I would have to completely disconnect from the network and reconnect.

On a related note, the 3GS seems very poor at switching between 3G and EDGE. If I ever enable/disable 3G I completely lose a signal for 3-5 seconds. I thought one of the 2.X updates in the past improved the performance of the phone switching between different wireless signals (WiFi, EDGE, 3G)?

21. jamesapp macrumors 6502a

I own an iPhone 3gs and an iPhone 3g. After I updated my 3g to 3.0 I was testing out some apps when I went to use my remote app it would disconnect. I went into settings my wifi would disconnect and then reconnect like every 30 seconds or so. I had created an ad hoc network on my laptop and connected my iPhone to it. This disconnecting had made the remote app rather useless. I didn't have this problem when running 2.2.1. I bought a 3gs and one of the first things I tested, was creating an ad hoc network on my laptop and connecting my 3gs to it and the disconnecting continued. I am hoping this gets fixed in 3.1. There was like a 20 page thread on the apple forums on wifi issues.

22. ericxd thread starter macrumors regular

ok cause i thought my antenna were busted (dropped it once with a case)...but yea lets know a update will cover this up!