Weaker antenna strength?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thekb, May 6, 2015.

1. thekb macrumors 6502a

I have an iPhone 5. At my work location I used to have no trouble with verizon network connection. However over time, the signal has gotten substantially weaker. Sometimes I have to hold my phone up to a window to get webpages to load.

I used to speculate that the problem is with verizon towers, but about two months ago I got a droid maxx as a work phone. It has no problem getting online at my desk so I am pretty sure my antenna strength on the iPhone has deteriorated. Has anyone else experienced this?

2. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

The signal reception on my i5 was dreadful. Worst phone ever for that in my experience. I was lucky to get a 2G signal in lots of places. Only being very near a mast gave me good data speeds and most of the time I had none.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

My iPhone 5 was the reason I had AT&T send me the device that connects to the Internet to boost cellular in my house. After I got the 5S and the 6/6+ my reception was so much better I removed it.

The 5 would get 1 bar, maybe two at best. My 6/6+ get 3 to 4 bars.

4. thekb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok that was going to be my next question. I'll be replacing this before long and if the 6 didn't have a better antenna I was going to consider a Motorola.

But it sounds like your iPhone 5's were bad out of the box, whereas I didn't notice a problem until maybe 6 months ago.

5. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

My mate has the Nexus 6, made by Motorola, and the reception is no better than my 6+. A quick look at iFixit shows that they both have identical radios etc.
    The reception on my 6+ slays the iPhone 5 I had previously.

6. CEmajr macrumors 601

Also note as well that the iPhone 5 does not support the AWS frequency (Band 4) that Verizon uses to help with its LTE capacity. So you will most likely have better reception and data speeds by upgrading to an iPhone 6.

7. thekb thread starter macrumors 6502a