Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marcizzle333

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2008
ok so im wondering how badly do macbooks wear and tear after 1 year?? 2 years? and 3 years? do they chip, scratch, dent, get oily, make funny noises when u open or close it?? i just want to know the dets from anyone that has them. Please don't answer my question if u don't own a macbook because that would not be helpful.

Also opinions from black and white macbookers NOT WHICH ONE IS COOLER LOOKING OR IS BETTER I TRUELY DON"T CARE TO HEAR U GUYS FIGHT i just want to know ur story about ur macbook and how badly or good shape it is. it's important because im about to buy a macbook or a mbpro but i need it to last im kinda clumpsy so in otherwords i Will drop the machine. and i hear the pro last longer and looks better after a few years??:eek:

thanks guysssssss

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
ok so im wondering how badly do macbooks wear and tear after 1 year?? 2 years? and 3 years? do they chip, scratch, dent, get oily, make funny noises when u open or close it?? i just want to know the dets from anyone that has them. Please don't answer my question if u don't own a macbook because that would not be helpful.

Also opinions from black and white macbookers NOT WHICH ONE IS COOLER LOOKING OR IS BETTER I TRUELY DON"T CARE TO HEAR U GUYS FIGHT i just want to know ur story about ur macbook and how badly or good shape it is. it's important because im about to buy a macbook or a mbpro but i need it to last im kinda clumpsy so in otherwords i Will drop the machine. and i hear the pro last longer and looks better after a few years??:eek:

thanks guysssssss

I owned an iBook G4 for 4 years (white, the same material used as the white MacBooks) and quite frankly, keeping it looking nice was an issue. I used Ice Creme a few times to get rid of the scratches and it worked great, but took a lot of work. I recently lucked into a new Penryn BlackBook for $50 more than the middle white one. I have to say, I get why it's a bit more price-wise. I don't worry about scratches nearly as much. They get finger prints on them, but they wipe away easily. Other than that, it's relatively worry-free looks wise. I love it, and will pay full price for the black in the future if they keep offering it.

As for the clumsiness issue- I'm awful that way too. My laptops go with me everywhere on a daily basis. My iBook survived 9 nasty falls with no major damage. My BlackBook has had 2 since I bought it and it's perfectly fine. I would have dented the crap out of a MBP already. Go with the MacBook- it's much more sturdy.

priller

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2007
Mine's only a few months old but probably gets used more than a lot of macbooks. No scratches or discolouration & doesn't look greasy like the black ones do.

A lot of MBPs are already warped when you buy them and are going to dent or bend easier than a macbook when you drop it.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/495174/

Kleivonen

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2008
After 2 years of heavy use, my Blackbook looks pretty beat. I can't keep it clean anymore. Albeit for the first ~year and a half keeping it clean was a breeze. However, the track pad "polishes" fairly fast. and some of the plastic has been cracking for the last few months. But don't get me wrong, it still runs like a champ.

mavherzog

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2005
Columbus, WI
Here is what my 1st gen Macbook looked like after two years of daily use...including being hauled to work every day (and back) as well as spending six months with me in Iraq (click on images for larger views):

Just recently sold it (less than two weeks ago) and replaced it with a blackbook. Would've been perfectly fine with buying another white one though...bought the black simply to differentiate between some friends I know with white ones.

MarkW

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2008
Here is what my 1st gen Macbook looked like after two years of daily use...including being hauled to work every day (and back) as well as spending six months with me in Iraq (click on images for larger views):

Just recently sold it (less than two weeks ago) and replaced it with a blackbook. Would've been perfectly fine with buying another white one though...bought the black simply to differentiate between some friends I know with white ones.

After using both black and white, which would you say is better both in terms of visually more attractive and the issues each one has?

mavherzog

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2005
Columbus, WI
After using both black and white, which would you say is better both in terms of visually more attractive and the issues each one has?
I like the black because it is more uniform in color. Take a look at a white one and you can see that the palm rest / keyboard section of the case is kinda a light grey....different entirely than the rest of the exterior.

That being said, I still think it looks good. The blackbook is new to me, so I am a bit biased anyway. ;)

I have noticed no issues with keeping either clean. Although, eventually, I am sure that keys being rubbed smooth will be a lot more noticable on the blackbook. (as it was on my thinkpad)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.