Wear and Tear

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pengytek, Mar 10, 2010.

1. pengytek macrumors newbie

Hey all,

This is really for those who have owned and used their MBPs for a year or longer.

Do you guys experience any wear and tear on the keyboard, trackpad, or wristpad?

I'm trying to decide whether or not to buy protectors for these areas. I assume the screen as well as the top and bottom should be fine so I'm just going to ignore those.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, they will wear over time. It depends on how much you use it and how well you care for it. Everyone's experience is different.

3. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Last week I sold a MBP that I bought at the end of September. Allot of the keys were shiny from use and no amount of wiping them helped. There wern't any marks anywhere else.

On my new MBP, I'm using my bluetooth keyboard most of the time.

4. A.W.E.S.O.M.-0 macrumors member

After 2,5 years of using my MBP SR every day I cannot say there is any significant wear and tear in sight. Aluminium can be cleaned neatly and once in a while I have to clean my keys untill they are shiny again.

The plasic keys of the newer series are probably much more vulnarable however.

The trackpad is still in perfect condition, not a mark in sight. On the left wristpad however there are a few small corrosive specs but that's all. But that also includes many, many hours of FPS gaming.

The only outside mark on my MBP is a small scratch on the bottom from a beer cap that I overlooked. All in all, I'd say that a protection cover is not necessary, it only hurts the looks.

In my view it's a bit like plastic covers on the furnature, yeah they may stay clean but damn it looks ......... girly

5. svenwillmann macrumors member

Using my MBP (model 2007) intensively (currently ~120 battery cycle count on the second battery, can’t remember what the first one was but it was high).

I am also using it in fairly hot climate (I am in Africa ) so one would think with perspiration you will get some wear and tear, but on the surface there is hardly any. After cleaning the trackpad, keys and wrist pad it is hardly noticeable.

The bottom of the thing looks a bit different, lots of scratches and a broken foot (the little plastic things on each corner).

To answer your question, I would not bother to buy protectors, invest in a good bag to carry it.

6. Gonzo3333 macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

Skip the protectors and just be careful with it, do what svenwillmann said and get a good bag for it. The keyboard will show signs of wear depending on how often you type on it. Personally I enjoy typing on a well worn in keyboard, the keys just feel a little less slippery than when brand new.

7. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

It will take at least a year of heavy use, probably two to see any wear in the areas you mention (keys will probably dull first) and honestly after two years, especially two years without an entire protective case, are you really going to be too worried about some wear in those areas?

After that much time I would just be proud of the wear and tear on my machine.