Wear AW on left wrist, but select "Right Wrist"?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by jon08, Mar 4, 2018.

1. jon08 macrumors 68000

I wear my AW on the left hand, so naturally I selected "Left Wrist" in the Watch app.

My question is, if I were to continue wearing AW on my left wrist, but changed the settings in Watch app to "Right Wrist", would it affect the activity tracking etc measurements in any way?

The reason why I'd do that is that sometimes when I raise my wrist toward me the display won't come on and it kind of annoys me that I would then have to twist my wrist (uncomfortably) by almost 90° to get the display to turn on (eg. when lying in bed, or sometimes when sb asks to see the watch and it's a bit embarrassing when the screen won't turn on and you then have to tap on the screen or wiggle your wrist again etc).

So I noticed that if I wear it on the left hand but select "Right Wrist" it's a lot more responsive - i.e. the screen quickly turns on even at slight movements of the hand. Surely, this may take a hit on the battery but you get to see the display more often, which is a nice bonus when we cannot have the always-on display option.

However, what I don't know is wearing on the left while telling the watch you're wearing it on the right would confuse the activity tracking measurements and whatnot? If that's the case then I suppose I'd rather change the settings back to "Left Wrist" rather than have incorrect activity tracking data.

P.S.: FYI, this has nothing to do with crown orientation - I keep it normal - i.e. pointed outwards as on standard watches.

2. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

You need to have it selected for the correct wrist and correct Crown location for the way you are wearing it.

IMG_4245 (1).jpg

3. jon08 thread starter macrumors 68000

Not sure I understand? So if I wear my AW on the left hand but selected "Right Wrist" in the settings in your screenshot, I should then select "Digital Crown on Left Side"? Why?

4. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Misread and edited my post for the correct info.

5. jon08, Mar 4, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2018

jon08 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks, but that's not what I was asking in my post. It's obvious that if I wear AW on the left wrist with the crown on the right of the watch I'd have to select "Left Wrist" and "Digital Crown on Right Side".

What I noticed, however, is that if I wear my AW on the left wrist but select "Right Wrist" in the settings above, the screen sensitivity increases quite a bit as the screen will turn on even at slighter turns of the wrist, which seems pretty nice as the screen will light up more frequently (although it may take a hit on the battery).

So I simply have a question: would this confuse the watch's activity tracking algorithms if I continued to wear it on the left wrist but basically "telling" the watch in the settings that I'm wearing it on the right?

6. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

You can do that. It may also give you more accurate activity results, versus wearing the watch on your dominant hand. Running specific watches make a note in the setup to wear the watch on the non-dominate wrist for this reason.

7. jon08 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately left is my dominant hand... and I've always been used to wearing watches on the left wrist too, so I wouldn't consider wearing it on the right.

8. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

I cannot wear my watch in one hand for too long thanks to this weird sports loop band. So I often swap between two wrists. Does not notice any obvious fitness tracking result errors or abnormal trends or something.

9. robertpatryk macrumors member

I have that feeling too. I think, when I got my Apple Watch few years back, it was super responsive like it automatically turned on the screen and off when I twisted my hand. Now it turns on the screen but turning off doesn't work like before... It somehow works better when using left hand and right hand option