Wear items on MBP 17?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lieb39, Nov 2, 2010.

1. lieb39 macrumors 6502

lieb39

Hello everyone,

I have a 2007 'Blackbook' - No issues with it itself, just that it's quite slow for what I demand. And with a new iMac in the house I'm reminded how bad the resolution on this thing is.

So being a bit tight with my money, I've decided to keep my eye out on Craigslist for a.. MBP 17". It's a HUGE difference from my current - but I really want the bigger resolution - and finding a MBP 15" with the High-Res option is surprisingly difficult.

Now there are quite a few examples of the MBP i7 going for $1500 or even less - and of course, about 99% of those are fraudulent. I know the tricks and tips of the trade, so I'm watching out.

Just wondering, is there anything in specific I should look for on these MBPs that might be broken/worn down? I know to turn it on, test basics, check the hard drive size, etc.

Thanks,
    Daniel

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

If you're looking at older (pre-unibody) 17", the most common things to fail by far are the lid locks (they can get stuck or broken relatively easily, at which point the laptop can pop open randomly) followed by the keyboard keys, which can get sticky.

The latch is obviously not an issue on unibody MBPs, since they use a magnet, and the keyboards are somewhat more durable.

There's also the battery, although that's hard to do a proper test on since it would require letting the whole battery drain, which should take hours. You can check the magsafe connector, though--it should be visibly obvious if it's starting to pull loose.

Also take a look at the rubber feet on the underside, but frankly the chances of some of those NOT having fallen off are slim to none if it's not brand new.

3. SidBala macrumors 6502a

I got a UB 17 incher for $1200. It was an awesome deal.

Things to look out for:

-Dents in the aluminium
    -Alignment of the screen/lid over the keyboard
    -Check for chips in the plastic (pre-UB)
    -Check for wear on the trackpad/palmrest
    -dents on the corners

4. lieb39 thread starter macrumors 6502

lieb39

Do you mind telling me where you got yours from? I'm keeping an eye out on Craigslist..

Cheers!