Wear two watches on a night out?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by bulldoze, Jan 2, 2016.

1. bulldoze macrumors regular

Here is my dilemma: admittedly an awfully first world dilemma but a dilemma nevertheless.

What do I wear on a night out? I have an expensive watch that I usually wear on a night out - it looks good with a nice shirt, some good shoes etc but I now have an Apple watch and I appreciate the functionality it gives me and also the freedom from the urge to pull my phone from my pocket when I get a message.

There are 3 choices:

1. Leave the 'Jewellery' watch at home gathering dust in a drawer for ever more.
    2. Wear both - this strikes me as a little odd though.
    3. Leave the Apple Watch at home.

What do you guys do?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wear the Apple Watch with the right band. Hence why I have several bands for different occasions

3. FrisbeeK9 macrumors 6502a

FrisbeeK9

I would agree. Casual band and more elegant band for the nights out.

4. Totally macrumors 6502a

Totally

You're that important that you always need to know what your texts say exactly when you get them? If that's the case and you don't want to have to "pull out your phone to check" then wear the apple watch.

If I was you I would wear the nice watch for a night out. It's ok to disconnect and not check your messages right away always. Unless you are the person I described above. Haha. You don't have to wear your Apple Watch 24/7. I'd wear the nice looking fancy watch. Far more people will appreciate and compliment you on that.

5. BradWould macrumors 6502

BradWould

Don't wear 2 watches. Nobody wants to be the guy wearing 2 watches.

Personally I would wear the Apple Watch. Get a knock off stainless steel link band (or a real one if you have a pile of cash sitting around). I bought one for 88$ on Amazon and I love it. It looks very similar to apples version. Classy.

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I wear 2 :eek: but only when running or doing cardio.:D I agree with the premise of not wearing 2 'out' or about. However I see wearing 2 while running as a different and more acceptable scenario.

7. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

If it's a nice enough night out, nobody deserves your attention more than the person you're with, so you wear the nice watch, the AW stays home, and the phone stays in your coat pocket on silent. I have other nice watches to wear when it's time to disconnect, too.

Other than that, go with the AW. You'll be accessible without becoming distracted. Say that you're among the first to arrive -- you can see a text from the stragglers without having to stare at your phone, and you can easily continue with your drink.

When I'm with a group and can manage texts without them noticing, it's a great thing. I'm sure you've realized by now that when someone gets their phone out during a meal, they've left the table without leaving their chair. The AW can help you be part of the group.

8. Fthree, Jan 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2016

Fthree macrumors 6502a

I have almost went running in my Fenix 3 and AW but decided against it

9. stcizzle macrumors regular

Not to sound offensive but no one without mental issues wears more than one watch

I could understand a Fitbit and a watch on opposite wrists but not two watches. Come on now. That's like wearing two ties on the same shirt or 2 wallets one in each back pocket, or two phones one in each hand, or the guy who wears 2 pairs of sunglasses one on his face and one on the top of his head. JuSt not an option

10. bulldoze thread starter macrumors regular

But is it really a watch? sure it is called a watch but no-one buys it for that sole functionality - it is a wearable device, more in common with a fit bit than a real watch and nobody would think it odd if someone wore a mechanical watch and a fit bit on different wrists.

But I can see why people don't do it and why I would not do it, for all I have said above it looks like a watch, so yes people would look at me very strange!

11. bulldoze thread starter macrumors regular

By the way I am talking about the black Sport model which looks more like a fitness band than a watch - I agree that wearing a SS Apple watch and another watch would look ridiculous.

12. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

Exactly, great point.

Work, casual or fun nights out, I wear the Apple Watch.

Date, important work presents iron, etc I wear one of my nicer watches. It looks better, and more professional.

It's important to disconnect sometimes, both at home and out. Maybe I'm weird, but I'm the guy who will take is Apple Watch off at home, often, at night and weekends. No one needs my attention beyond my wife.

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You can rationalize all you want to somehow convince yourself you won't look like a tool double wristing it, but the Sport is a watch and the form factor and functionality are exactly the same as SS beside the material difference. Nobody sees the Fitbit as a watch (as it isn't one), but everyone considers the Sport a watch.

14. AFEPPL macrumors 68020

AFEPPL

leave the apple watch at home, its a night out... why would i want to see msgs or take calls on a tiny screen.

15. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

This. People are too rides to their apple devices.

If you are worried enough to ask on here, you already know the answer.

16. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

Leave the Apple Watch home. I agree with the others about unplugging and besides, you'd look absolutely ridiculous with 2 watches.

17. bulldoze thread starter macrumors regular

I never said I would do it but I am trying to find out what others would do.

By the way, the 2 friends and 2 family members that have noticed it on my wrist have all said the same thing, is that one of those fitbit/fitness bands/sport band things? no-one recognised it as an Apple Watch.

18. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

It's bigger and looks like a watch. It functions as a watch. It's iconic and called "Apple Watch". So I would classify it as a watch....

Just my opinion.

19. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

+1 for the classical, casual watch. Let your free time to be free. Enjoy the company of others and not of your AW.
    Have a good time!

20. Fthree macrumors 6502a

IMO id wear the AW. Its cool and you bought it use it.

21. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

There's a member on here who triple wrists it (an Omega Seamaster on left wrist, a Rolex Daytona on the right, and AW next to the Seamaster), but it doesn't mean you should follow his example.

I think your problem is you didn't get the SS and thus it's not "nice enough" for a night out. There is a number of members who came from a collection of luxury mechanicals including multiple Rolexes and have permanently relegated them to the drawer because they find the AW too useful.

22. zetaplus93 macrumors regular

You could double wrist it if only one is visible at any time, when wearing a dress shirt for example. I essentially use the AW as a Fitbit in this scenario. And one might ask, why use the AW as a Fitbit? Because I have a AW and not a Fitbit.

23. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I have a aftermarket link bracelet for my SS watch so I wear that. The Omega is still in the safe.

24. hovscorpion12, Jan 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2016

hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

The Apple watch is a watch no matter how one puts it. It tells the time first and lets you know when you've receive a notification It is a watch that is aimed at replacing the normal timepiece. The Apple watch whichever of the three models is still as expensive and luxury as your "expensive watch". The Apple watch is meant to keep your iPhone in your pocket and notifications on your wrist. Its up to you the individual to choose whether or not you want to look at your wrist when you receive a notification. I have been on plenty of nights out, meetings, dates..etc and my watch has received countless notifications from texts to app notifications, however I never looked deeper until after or free. If your leaning on wearing your normal watch over the Apple Watch, it was never for you other then a waste of money. Whether it's the sports model at $350 or Stainless Steel model as high as $1,000 or even the Edition at $10,000-$17,000, it is a huge investment and dedication. If the Apple Watch was meant for fitness purposes, (again waste of money and not for you,) I would recommend the Fitbit as it is much cheaper and you can wear your normal watch throughout the day without second guessing.

25. AFEPPL macrumors 68020

AFEPPL

Agree with some of that... mostly the waste of money parts. I'm pretty sure there's nothing in the T&Cs when you buy an AW that says you must replace all existing time pieces or that it much always be worn..

AW is not a luxury item by any means IMO even if you go to the far right of the extreme which 99.9% of people just wouldn't do for a tech device. It's just an over expensive item for what you get. Your analogy is a little off for me too - because i own a super car and I also run beater (well 60k normal car), did i miss the point of buying the supercar? No i think not. I use the car that's most appropriate for what I'm planning on doing or need to achieve.

The point of luxury watches (which i have a few lets say) is not to have one and wear it for everything at all.. it's a piece of iconography and a status symbol and master of engineering that you change from one to the other based on how you are feeling or what you are wearing... It's an accessory of style, this is why the AW has interchangeable bands... But the AW is simply not luxury or a status symbol in the same way the iPhones not. It's a consumer electronic device that tells the time, does a bit of sports stuff (but not well) does some notification stuff and is wearable and has very little engineering other than the software which at V2.0 still leaves a lot to be desired..

I still like to wear my Casio Classic Retro watch every now and then and that gets far more comments than the AW ever did.. But if it makes you feel good, then all that simply it doesn't matter.