Wearable Video iPod Display

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

SeatlePI reports that a company which is currently is making video display products for the military and industry is moving into the iPod market.

eMagin Corp has developed a wearable headset video-system for Apple's latest video iPod. The video appears in front of the viewers eye with the impression of the 105-inch display from 12 feet away.

"Suddenly you've got this big-screen, movie-screen, home-theater experience, wherever you are," said Gary Jones, eMagin's president and CEO.
A photo demonstrating the unit can be seen here.

eneshelon

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2006
try it before you knock it

the one eye displays actually work amazing, and give the effect that the screen is right in front of you, its like an optical illusion. also this makes it so that you can still monitor whats going on around you. soooo before you judge, try it out (i forgot what other consumer electronic had this implemented, but it worked great!)

im lookin forward to getting this, itll be a killer accessory for the video ipod! bring it on!

^^ to you, I saw a headset similar once, not great is all I can say, and Apple won't want to use this display under its own branding. his will be too expensive and in my opinion, not very wearable. I mean, you have a thick cable running from your pocket into your sun glasses, that's not obvious at all.:rolleyes:

d.perel

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2005
That would be pretty sweet for an airplane ride or something, but I don't think the whole concept of wearable tv visors is new

Texas04

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2005
Texas
MacFan782040 said:
I give them credit for creating this, but I doubt it'll be a big seller...
I agree, its great for the military to use with cameras on their guns... but for an ipod... not so much

iRez

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2004
LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

ill wager my unborn children that only 10 of these will sell.

kcmac

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2002
Wow, that thing costs $500. And just imagine what you would also look like when you add the wiring for your earbuds or headphones!

WeBleed4Real

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2005

That just has "COOL" written all over it, doesn't it? ;)

Everyone say it with me..."Resistance is FUTILE!!!"

vikolaf

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2004
New York, USA
Why not make it for two eyes... Just tried closing one eye while leaving the other one open... Would get quite annoying after a few minutes...

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
WeBleed4Real said:
That just has "COOL" written all over it, doesn't it? ;)
I'd prefer corneal implants. That thing looks uber geeky.

Here's to the Crazy Ones

bmoorhouse

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2003
Houston
Lacero said:
I'd prefer corneal implants. That thing looks uber geeky.

Here's to the Crazy Ones

I would definitely agree. Until now, however, the company has been building this thing to military specs, so it didn't matter. Now that they are going to start selling it to consumers, they need to figure out how to get the screen into a pair of sunglasses, which would look normal. . . . Now something like that might have a chance.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Is this thing any better than Sony's Glasstron? I know that covered both eyes, but Sony did essentially the same thing years ago and it completely bombed.

abysstare

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2004
I think the concept is awesome, and that people would love it, and that it's probably actually pretty cool. HOWEVER, these folks obviously have a learning curve to get over when it comes to design and marketing. 1) For something this cool, I think they can come up with a better name than "eyebud." Please. 2) Sorry, but they're completely discounting the power of peoples vanity. The guy in that picture looks like a complete TOOL wearing that thing, and nobody's going to want to look like that. They need to either come up with a headset that only comes around from behind, incorporate the around the head design into a less conspicuous baseball cap, or, if they want to do this around the head design, GREATLY thin out at least most of what's all around the head to about the thickness of the cord itself. Then maybe.

Oh, and p.s., it might have been a smart move to have shown this being worn by a really hot model instead of the CEO.

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
Looks sort of like the mind-control halo the Scientologists -- or whoever -- used on Tom Cruise in "Minority Report."